Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a carb'd 440 from an early motorhome
Will i still need a truck pan and pickup like ive been reading?

Also are the accessories the same for my 318? Alt starter etc?

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
79on42 said:
I scored a carb'd 440 from an early motorhome
Will i still need a truck pan and pickup like ive been reading?

Also are the accessories the same for my 318? Alt starter etc?
Yes you need a rear sump pan with 4 wheel drive.
All accessories are the same. You'll need all the brackets to hang the alt, power steering pump and air compressor for a 440 block and heads.
Starters for most Mopars are all the same.

Don't forget to get the transmission from the motor home.
The Big Block bellhousing bolt pattern is different from the small block.
And Big Block transmission cases are getting hard to find.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I seemed to recall that the 440 motor home engines are a different casting and should be checked out closely, good idea about getting the trans to go with it but will it mate up with the transfer case?

·
Registered
798 Posts
RXT said:
Not true. All 440 blocks are the same

http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

Ed
I think the only difference is the later 440's and 400's had larger cooling passages, larger ears for motor mounts, which makes them just as good as the earlier big blocks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
NP435 bellhousing for a a big block, if you don't have a 13 inch flywheel "big" then you need one of those too.  Also depending on the year of the 440, you will need a weighted or neutral flywheel.  Cast crank would be weighted and a forged crank would be a neutral flywheel. 

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Aussie Challenger said:
I seemed to recall that the 440 motor home engines are a different casting and should be checked out closely, good idea about getting the trans to go with it but will it mate up with the transfer case?
Well depending on the motorhome... most have a shorty 727. Therefore this would be a good time to convert to a divorced 205.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
a motor home 440 has different heads - intake and exhaust than a Car or Truck motor , LARGE massive heavy things for cooling and NOT good for much else = basically you bought a "short block" / to get anything out of it your gonna need a complete Car or Truck TOP end - heads - intake - exhaust and ALL mounting brackets

NOTE / a motor home should have the truck pan already

NOTE / l,ve seen it once so far were the motor home motor blew up and someone installed a plain truck 440 with accessories and didnt use ANY of the motor home stuff = its rare but it does happen so you could get lucky

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The few 440 MH engines I have seen aren't much different than the truck engines.

Now the 361 & 413 in MH and medium dutys are different animals with the big heads & funky water pumps.

Bucky

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
I pulled this 440 from a 79 Motorcoach, and with the exception of the big York A/C compressor and my headers it looks like any other typical 70's truck 440. I will need a different pan, and for the kind of off-roading I do I'll need a deep center sump pan, maybe a circle track unit with internal baffles -

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The MH engine that MadMax has pictured has different engine mount brackets than what is on my 4x4 big block.

OP will have to use the correct brackets for his application.

Bucky

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.