Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pls,i need help nad answers about this question...i have Dodge Ram 1500 Magnum '95 2WD 318cu (5.2 V8)...i will change my beast to 4WD,its possible?I hope it can be...what i need for transformation?What do I buy?I'll be grateful for any help...

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If you got decent money...buy a wrecked 94-01 4x4 ram and do a chassis swap.
Anything is possible with the right tools my friend, even in my short time of wrenching and researching this has came very clear to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,i know...its very simple in the USA,but in the Croatia u havent wrecked Rams...thats a problem...thats why i want to buy used parts and everything for the project...

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
What you should probably consider is what we commonly call a SAS or Solid Axle Swap.  Usually this is used to convert a 4WD vehicle with independent front suspension to a solid front axle, but it can also be used to convert a 2WD to 4WD.  Since you may not be able to obtain parts from a 4WD Ram, I'd look into other trucks.  Something similar like other American trucks may be able to supply a suitable front axle.  The easiest way to gain 4WD is with the use of a divorced transfer case.  This may or may not be hard to find depending on what American vehicles you have access to or even local truck designs.  Swapping brands is not a big deal as long as you can make it work correctly and safely.  If you can locate a Dodge truck to get a 4WD transmission and transfer case you won't need to use a divorced case but I get the feeling that may be a bit hard to find over there.  To keep it all simple, I would try and use a leaf spring suspension system since they are fairly easy to set up and most areas around the world have a variety of vehicles that use leaf springs of varying lengths and spring rates.  If you have the ability to do a link suspension and use coil springs, that is very possible also but is a little more difficult.  Check out Pirate4x4.com and search around for SAS swaps.  They have been detailed there for numerous vehicles for rock crawling and similar activities and should give you a good idea of what sort of job you are looking at.  Just be careful over at Pirate, the members are usually not very forgiving for new guys making mistakes posting in the wrong forums so be sure to read the rules and any rules or announcement posts before you post in a section.  You should be good to go with what you have in mind but do a little searching to make sure you aren't going to post up a question that's been asked and answered numerous times.  Pirate plays a little rough but there is no finer place on the Internet to talk to other 4WD fabricators and enthusiasts when it comes to off road modifications and there are members there from around the world.  Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hm,thank u very much for info and i am very sorry for wrong section,i didnt know where i can ask...it wont happens again,i promise.Thanks one more time.

·
2013 Ram 1500 2014 Challenger SXT
2,273 Posts
V8 Nomad said:
Hm,thank u very much for info and i am very sorry for wrong section,i didnt know where i can ask...it wont happens again,i promise.Thanks one more time.
This is not the wrong section for your question. Elwenil has just referred you to another site.
Feel free to ask more questions here if you need to.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Agreed, you are doing just fine here at Ramcharger Central.  Ramcharger Central is very friendly to anyone asking for help here.  Over at Pirate4x4.com they are not as friendly but the accumulated knowledge on front axles swaps is probably far greater than anywhere else on the Internet.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
So the divorced T-case would work well with a stock 2WD trans? It wouldn't be more practical to convert to another brand's 4x4 trans while doing the conversion?

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
85 Royal SE Prospector said:
So the divorced T-case would work well with a stock 2WD trans? It wouldn't be more practical to convert to another brand's 4x4 trans while doing the conversion?
That is possible but you would have to make some sort of adaptors to mate the other brand's transmission to the engine and even then sometimes some combinations just do not work due to size, shape, starter and exhaust locations, torque converter/flywheel dimensions, etc. A divorced transfer case is very simple to connect to a 2WD transmission with a short driveshaft and about the only problem is that they don't work well with short wheelbases but a truck should be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts