Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at the junkyard today looking for a steering shaft for my truck. i came across a '86 power ram 250 with a steering shaft that had a u-joint and grease fitting. it also was adjustable. is this one of those borgeson shafts? i've never actually seen what one looks like.i can get it for about $10. whatever it is its probably a lot better than the stock steering coupler. also are those held onto the steering box the same way as the stock ones? i couldnt seem to pop the pin out. is there a trick to this or something?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
NOTABLAZER said:
i was at the junkyard today looking for a steering shaft for my truck. i came across a '86 power ram 250 with a steering shaft that had a u-joint and grease fitting. it also was adjustable. is this one of those borgeson shafts? i've never actually seen what one looks like.i can get it for about $10. whatever it is its probably a lot better than the stock steering coupler. also are those held onto the steering box the same way as the stock ones? i couldnt seem to pop the pin out. is there a trick to this or something?
It was held on with a pin? Or was it a hex key bolt? My borgeson is held on with a hex key bolt. I had a lot of trouble removing the original shaft, it just didn't want to come out. I used a bunch of PB blaster and a 1/4" drive socket extention to beat it out. Go from the large side to the small side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,843 Posts
Mopar4x actualy talked borgeson into making a steering shafot for our trucks that has no rag joint. You can now but a Borgeson with 2 u joints on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dodge8564 said:
NOTABLAZER said:
i was at the junkyard today looking for a steering shaft for my truck. i came across a '86 power ram 250 with a steering shaft that had a u-joint and grease fitting. it also was adjustable. is this one of those borgeson shafts? i've never actually seen what one looks like.i can get it for about $10. whatever it is its probably a lot better than the stock steering coupler. also are those held onto the steering box the same way as the stock ones? i couldnt seem to pop the pin out. is there a trick to this or something?
It was held on with a pin? Or was it a hex key bolt? My borgeson is held on with a hex key bolt. I had a lot of trouble removing the original shaft, it just didn't want to come out. I used a bunch of PB blaster and a 1/4" drive socket extention to beat it out. Go from the large side to the small side.
hmm... maybe it was held in by a hex key bolt. that might explain why i couldnt drive the pin out. i transferred my stock steering shaft from my 80 rc to my trail duster and had no real problems taking the pin out. i'll have to dig up my hex key sockets and go back. the guy at the junkyard probably thinks i'm an idiot ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i went back with evey hex key and hex key socket i own and none of them would fit at all. i'm thinking of going back tomorrow with my torx head screws,hammering one in there and hopefully that will work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,843 Posts
DDGRC84 said:
CAMO RAM said:
Mopar4x actualy talked borgeson into making a steering shafot for our trucks that has no rag joint. You can now but a Borgeson with 2 u joints on it.
when did he do that?

Jake
He told me this lsat week. Thats why he is selling his old, brand new one. He wants the doubble u jont one.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,995 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,050 Posts
I know I had a verry early shaft from Bourgeson that went on with a drift pin just like a stock shaft but that was a long time ago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Whoa there Nate! I didn't "talk them into it" per say, but the guy I worked with on identifying the correct u-joint did give me a killer discount for helping them get the right Dodge info. But it's true, they do offer the double u-joint shaft as a part number now. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,239 Posts
Far as I'm concerned you did ;) One day the double u-joint shaft wasn't on their site, then I saw your post, then it was on their site. :)

Did you get yours yet? It was a quick install. Took me longer to wait for the paint to dry than it did to actually install it. ;D
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top