Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions please? Which is the better choice for my rig The stock Quadrajet ( Edelbrock Quadrajet) or the Edelbrock 1406 600cfm. I run the Edelbrock 1406 presently.Good performing carb. but runs a little rich out of the box.I have a chance to purchase a remanufactured quadrajet for mopar from a friend of mine. I will spend the money if it is the better way to go. I do not want to spend the money if it will not be as good, although I am getting it for a steel if I want it.

1987 Power Ram W150 4x4 318, 4bbl 1406 600cfm carb, Edel. Intake, 302 Swirlports, 3 angle valve job, Port/Polish, MP Camshaft Kit: .430/.450lift - 260/268dur, Dynomax Headers, Dual exhaust, H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, Davis Tri-Power Distributor Kit, 4.10 gears, 32's, Auborn Heavy duty-both axles

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Quadrajets are a better at steeper operating angles. Otherwise, if both carbs are set-up/jetted correctly, you wouldn't notice the difference.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smokey said:
Quadrajets are a better at steeper operating angles. Otherwise, if both carbs are set-up/jetted correctly, you wouldn't notice the difference.
I've been told the quadrajet performs much nicer at full throttle due to the larger secondary throttle valves. Anyone agree or diagree with this?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Iam currently running a edelbrock 750 cfm preformer with offroad needle and seats. The only problem is on steep hills and or rocks and low rpms, floods everytime, if I keep the rpms up its not much of a prob but if I want to crawl, no go. Last week at the J/Y I found a 74 eldo with a big cfm Q-jet and right now I am rebuilding it. So I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MikeT said:
Iam currently running a edelbrock 750 cfm preformer with offroad needle and seats. The only problem is on steep hills and or rocks and low rpms, floods everytime, if I keep the rpms up its not much of a prob but if I want to crawl, no go. Last week at the J/Y I found a 74 eldo with a big cfm Q-jet and right now I am rebuilding it. So I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks I look for to the results

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
both carbs have their good points and bad points.

if tuned properly the qjet performs offroad almost as well as fuel injection.

as far as mileage and street performance i have always had better luck with the edelbrocks performer carbs.

the other thing since you didnt mention engine size, i have noticed on some smaller v-8's such as the chevy 305 and the dodge 318, they do not always have the proper vacuum to fully take advantage of the qjets vacuum secondaries.

eric

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
intenseimages said:
both carbs have their good points and bad points.

if tuned properly the qjet performs offroad almost as well as fuel injection.

as far as mileage and street performance i have always had better luck with the edelbrocks performer carbs.

the other thing since you didnt mention engine size, i have noticed on some smaller v-8's such as the chevy 305 and the dodge 318, they do not always have the proper vacuum to fully take advantage of the qjets vacuum secondaries.

eric
1987 Power Ram W150 4x4 318, 4bbl 1406 600cfm carb, Edel. Intake, 302 Swirlports, 3 angle valve job, Port/Polish, MP Camshaft Kit: .430/.450lift - 260/268dur, Dynomax Headers, Dual exhaust, H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, Davis Tri-Power Distributor Kit, 4.10 gears, 32's, Auborn Heavy duty-both axles. Thank you

·
Registered
780 Posts
Depends on how familiar you are with q jets. E brocks have like 7 adjustments you could make, but a Q-jet has about a billion different adjustments. If you are good with qjets, the qjet should perform better, and if you can stay out of the secondarys, the q-jet will give better fuel economy.
C.J.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CJ's84RC said:
Depends on how familiar you are with q jets. E brocks have like 7 adjustments you could make, but a Q-jet has about a billion different adjustments. If you are good with qjets, the qjet should perform better, and if you can stay out of the secondarys, the q-jet will give better fuel economy.
C.J.
will the q-jet perform better at the secondaries or full throttle?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts