Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're trying to put in our new 727/203 but all we have is a big floor jack and 2 scissor jacks to use. How should we put it up? We've been trying with everything as one piece, trans bolted to t-case with crossmember, but its hard to balance that on the floor jack (had it held on with a rachet tie down, but it slipped a little and fell off).
Guess we could do the trans first, then the t-case, but it seems like then the t-case would be hard to line up since the 203 is so lumpy and unbalanced in shape. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
when mine went in (everything bolted together, with crossmember)..we used two jacks, one on each end of the crossmember and brought them up equally. It balanced perfect. We sat it on a wheel dolly to move it around and have it high enough to get the jacks under it. You could use anything really..

727 with 203, the 727 did NOT have the converter in it..and the 203 was full of oil. With new donuts and mounts

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Furniture dolly works good for moving it around too... Chances are there's a rental place or parts house near you that has a transmission jack available,... and they really DO work well for not oo many bucks.

Back in the "good ole days" when cars and trucks had removable floorpans and/or humps, life sure was simple... not so easy now :-\

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
yeah tranyy jacks are nice. i got one free. what a piece of heavy crap i thought it was till i actually used it!!!

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
LOL! gaining 50 lbs of muscle will help too! Might be a bit *******, but if you can get the tail up and use a tiedown to hold it, you might be able to jack the tranny end up and wiggle it into place.

G

·
willy J said:
yeah tranyy jacks are nice. i got one free. what a piece of heavy crap i thought it was till i actually used it!!!
Don, the jack isn't that heavy, you were just too skinny to move it ;D

Chris

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hey, that sounds like the way I've done it! :D

phoenix827 said:
LOL! gaining 50 lbs of muscle will help too! Might be a bit *******, but if you can get the tail up and use a tiedown to hold it, you might be able to jack the tranny end up and wiggle it into place.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
There are 2 of you 1 jacks 1 balances, if not then take it apart, put the trans under 1st, then the t-case

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
does your rc have a rollbar? it is a 79 so it should still have the removable floor pan. the way i put mine in was to remove the floorpan/trannyhump and hook a come-a-long up to the tranny and case through the hole in floor and hooked it to rollbar. lifted right up into place.

eric

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
LOL! I thought I had the ******* way!! ;D Actually, that makes it a one man job.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
phoenix827 said:
LOL! I thought I had the ******* way!! ;D Actually, that makes it a one man job.
yeah chris, conveniently, all of the guys i had helped with their trucks were "busy" at the time i was putting mine back together so i had to solve the problem on my own.

eric

·
Registered
891 Posts
Accually this is for my powerwagon, but it does have the removable floor pan. But the rollbar idea wouldn't work with a pickup. heh. Tomarrow my bro is goin to NYC so I'll probably try with the ratchet tie-down and the jack again, last time I think I positioned the hooks wrong and they came undone. At least now I drained the pan so it'll be a tiny bit lighter and it won't be gushing all over the place every time I tip the trans foward or back. Wish me luck, and hope I don't loose a limb! :)
Oh yeah, should I bolt up the trans-to-engine or the crossmember-to-frame first? I'm thinking crossmember

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
When I did mine, I used 2 floor jacks, one at each end. I've done it with one, but half of the battle then is keeping it balanced.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
wycowboy said:
willy J said:
Don, the jack isn't that heavy, you were just too skinny to move it ;D

Chris
its an old one. ill have to snap a pic an show you....

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
MoparMurdoc said:
Accually this is for my powerwagon, but it does have the removable floor pan. But the rollbar idea wouldn't work with a pickup. heh.
Not to be a dink, but do you still have the hole in the roof? Go to home depot and get the biggest eyebolt that will fit. Or a bit bigger, you don't want it snapping! Stack some washers and such to spread out the load on the roof and hook a comealong to that. For a washer type thing, I would say about a foot/2' long chunk of angle iron. call me if that dosen't make sense. ;D

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
phoenix827 said:
MoparMurdoc said:
Accually this is for my powerwagon, but it does have the removable floor pan. But the rollbar idea wouldn't work with a pickup. heh.
Not to be a dink, but do you still have the hole in the roof? Go to home depot and get the biggest eyebolt that will fit. Or a bit bigger, you don't want it snapping! Stack some washers and such to spread out the load on the roof and hook a comealong to that. For a washer type thing, I would say about a foot/2' long chunk of angle iron. call me if that dosen't make sense. ;D
if that doesnt work, roll down both windows, go get yourself a 4x4 that will set across both doors and hook the comealong to it.

eric

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ahh... I think my way is better. :p
Accually I did it myself last night, used 2 scissor jacks to get it on the big floor jack, then rachet tied it to the jack, then just jacked it up. In my case I drained the trans but not T-case and left the torque converter in it and it balanced perfectly. Only problem now is I need bolts to mount it to the engine, because I accidentally sold my other bolts with my 4 speed. Anyone know where to get them, or do you have the thread and different lengths so I could get some at the hardware store?

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
ROTFL!!!

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
MoparMurdoc said:
do you have the thread and different lengths so I could get some at the hardware store?
i think zip ties backed up with a little duct tape would hold it fine until you got to the parts house. ;D ;D

eric the eternal *******

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.