Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to move my 94 dodge spirit about 7 miles from my house to my shop thats being built so I can work on it.The car has a 2.5 and a FWD 3 speed TF.The only thing wrong with it is the starter is bad.Before I go borrow a friends trailer, use a come a long and winch it on it, drive to where it has to go,and unload it,and return the trailer is there anyway I can push or pull start the car? if it is possible I assume its similar to push starting a manual? get it up to a certain speed with the ignition on and  put in Drive or 1/2?

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Agreed, unless the transmission was designed specifically to push start, which I don't think any have in decades, you can't push start them.  At least at any safe speed and the potential for damaging the transmission is pretty high.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn, What is the word on flat towing it at slow speeds?

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
Agreed, 7 miles is a lot for using a tow strap. And likely too much for the transmission.

·
Registered
65 Posts
RedneckInTraining said:
So I need to move my 94 dodge spirit about 7 miles from my house to my shop thats being built so I can work on it.The car has a 2.5 and a FWD 3 speed TF.The only thing wrong with it is the starter is bad.Before I go borrow a friends trailer, use a come a long and winch it on it, drive to where it has to go,and unload it,and return the trailer is there anyway I can push or pull start the car? if it is possible I assume its similar to push starting a manual? get it up to a certain speed with the ignition on and put in Drive or 1/2?
The cast iron Torqueflite had a rear pump and could be push started. The aluminum version does NOT have a rear pump. So anything after about 1961 or so can't be push started. I'd just get a tow dolly and winch it onto it. Get to the other end and set the parking brake, undo the straps and safety chains and roll it off. Then you can push it the short way to the shop.

Personally, the starter is easy to pull. I'd bench test it, or take it to AutoZone, Advance or other store and let them bench test it. You can get a new starter there if you need it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless I am looking at a different car this one requires removing the intake manifold to see the starter let alone manhandle it out of there.The view underneath is blocked by a giant K member.There is a small gap that the starter can be seen through but nothing that I can fit my hands/tools through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.