Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what the heck is a pto winch? i know they had them on the old military trucks but not sure how they work.
By the looks of it the run off ur driveshaft somehow, does that mean u have to be moving for it to work?

·
Registered
30,111 Posts
PTO / power take off / yer 77 pu has the option to have a PTO / look on the side of yer TC for a six bolt plate / that is were the PTO would mount / a PTO is like a mini transfercase / you can sent power to the front or rear of the truck / the PTO has its own small drive shaft that runs a winch or other device / and they work very good but there heavy and complitcated

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how does it get power though?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It gets its power through the transfer case. Have you ever seen a PTO on a tractor? It is the same concept. You do not need electric power so these are good. Electric winches IMO are better because you do not have to have the truck running.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so is there like a chain driving them from the transfer case?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and does that mean that the transfer case has to be turning to power the winch?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
it runs off of hydraulic fluid.

Duane

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
CLRracer said:

Duane
Nope..sorry...that's a hydraulic winch ;).

That plate on the side of your T-case...with the 6 bolts....there is an adapter that bolts on there. It is gear driven by the t-case. You put your tranny in neutral to pull with the winch ( usually ).

You don't have to be moving for it to work but your truck must be running.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
xXx_Dodge_Truck said:
how does it get power though?
PTO means Power Take Off. That means it takes engine power to run whatever you are running. Usually in a tranny or t-case, the operation works while the tranny or t-case is in neutral.

The advantage of a PTO is your winch is powered by the engine's horsepower. In many cases it will out-pull an electric winch because you're putting much more HP to work than whats possible in an electric motor running on 12 volts.

The disadvantage of a PTO is, the winch will only work so long as the engine is running. An electric winch will continue to pull for a short time without the engine running. A PTO also requires a small driveline to the winch to operate it. This will add cost to the winch, adds more weight, and requires more maintence.

Ed

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
pto is the the way to go imho, unless ofcousre your engine died out, then you're screwed

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
kyot said:
CLRracer said:

Duane

That plate on the side of your T-case...with the 6 bolts....there is an adapter that bolts on there. It is gear driven by the t-case. You put your tranny in neutral to pull with the winch ( usually ).

nope sorry, some do run off of hydraulic fluid, turned by a pump mounted to the pto. or at least some of the ones ive seen.

Duane

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i had a chance to pick one of these up one time for the rc, it came off of a 5 ton truck, had about 200 yards of 3/4 inch cable, it was a truly awesome thing to behold. guy only wanted $300 for it including all mounting hardware and driveshafts.

i passed on it, for a change it was even to much overkill for me. ;D

eric

·
Registered
30,111 Posts
CLRracer said:
kyot said:
CLRracer said:

Duane

nope sorry, some do run off of hydraulic fluid, turned by a pump mounted to the pto. or at least some of the ones ive seen.

Duane
and yes the newer tow trucks and flatbeds are run this way because of the new compact design and the fact that the bed rolls back means you need the fluid lines to make it work

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
It's still a hydraulic winch....it's just using the pto to power the hydraulic pump instead of the power steering pump or a pulley off of the engine.
If there is hydraulic fluid being used it's a hydraulic winch.....a PTO "driven" winch is all mechanical.

I prefer the power of a PTO winch but the electric is just an easier set-up....and it will get you out if the water was too deep!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
If yer still not sure on how PTO's work, try to find a friendly tow shop. Most of the guys are pretty decent. Maybe one of them would let you take a look and explain it to you hands on. New tow truck vs. older RC, yeah there's differences, but the concept is still there.

I would agree that a PTO for the "average homeowner" is a bit overkill. They're awesome pieces of equipment though!

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
i have a pto driven winch on a truck i recently purchased, it's a 66 ford f-600 tow truck, w/ 460 under the hood, one pto winch on fornt of the truck off the front of the motor, and one run by an output shaft from the trans going up into the bed part of the truck, thats what raises and lowers the boom. both winches are ramseys too. old skool

·
Registered
143 Posts
Also it perhaps should be pointed out PTO's are normally made for continuous service (unlike the vast majority of the electric ones), and pretty often they are the capstan type, which is not that good for self-recovery, but *ways and ways* more convenient for all the other work ;)

Anyway, for self-recovery a good electric winch is IMHO considerably better, for you don't need to run it for long, you don't need the PTO's power, but you may need to run it without the engine (the archetypal situation of course being winching from a river with a flooded engine).

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
how long can u run a fully loaded winch w/o engine running?

when does average battery give up the ghost or start to seriously deteriorate?

all of our winches are hydraulic or pto so i have no expereince with electric.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Depends on the battery of course: to add an electric winch without a double-battery setup is not a good idea anyway!

Generally, you can winch for a few minutes on the batery all right, enough to get from the river (or alike). Not good for a long sharp slope of course, or to get from the middle of Mississippi ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
a little while back they did a test to c how long certain batteries would hold up using a winch in one of the 4wheel mags, i think it was petersons, i will dig it up and put it on here, i have been going thru all mine to scan all the pics of the older dodges, and then put them all in my book case

1 - 20 of 20 Posts