Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im swapping out my front end of the ram in favour of part time locking hubs and a fresh d44.very sick of the high price and hard too doo bearings on the full time set up.!!... so i gues i have too get a part time kit for my 203... can i run for a while with the hubs locked? and anyone have some sujestions on good par time kit? or any bad coments or thing too watch out for?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
dont lock hubs unless on low traction surfaces. you know, ya dont drive on asphault with part time.

just keep it(t case) in lock, you ll be ok.

that is what a mile marker hub kit does

i realize there is a more expensive $500 t case kit but hardly any one purchases those.

·
Administrator
60,662 Posts
Yes you can drive with the hubs locked, and the transfer in full time, that would be better then locking the transfer, and unlocking the hubs.
(driving with the transfer in lock, will wear out the bushings on the shift fork)

I belive that the milemarker kit is the only one still available.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
milemarker is the only ones who sell the kit for dodge trucks. You MAY be able to get the tcase parts from them for a chevy and save a bit of money. Just make sure you tell them what you are doing.

Their expensive kit includes the front end parts, which you won't need if you change the front ends.

As long as the tcase is still full time, you can drive with the front end locked in and it will act the same way as with the full time front end. If the front end is unlocked however, you must put the tcase in either hi or low lock, otherwise, it will pop into neutral under load since there won't be any torque on both sides of the carrier (front end free spinning).

I'm not sure about wearing out the bushings. Before I converted mine, drove my 203 with no front d/s for 2-3 yrs, only putting the d/s in when I needed 4wd to save gas mileage...and it did. I also had no problems doing it that way.

I recommend you get the 1 peice gear, instead of the 4 - 1/4 gears inthe cheaper kit. I have noticed more play in the 1/4 gears on mine from wear over time. But now, I have a 205...so ......

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow. I have always gotten great gas mileage and unbelievable traction with fulltime NP203 setups, and never had a problem with front wheel bearings...why do some people insist on ruining good Fulltime trucks by converting them?

Hey, how about this, rather than ruining a good truck, why not sell it and buy a newer than '79 (parttime) or older than '75 (also, parttime) Dodge truck?? Wouldn't that be simpler and cheaper??? :)

Good luck with whatever you do, but you won't get any better fuel mileage (still a HEAVY truck), and just have more work to do when you do want 4WD...

JS

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
What do you lose, like 1/2 - 1 mpg? Personally, when we have freak snow storms here, I like my truck being able to go faster than 45mph in 4wd on the pavement. I haven't slipped yet and get a solid 12mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks Raminator! :)

The fulltime, 1/2 ton trucks and Ramcharger/Trailduster use wheel bearings that are pressed into the hub assembly. Can be a pain to replace if you don't have a press. With a press, pretty easy.

Most trucks (not all, but MOST) will have grease fittings for the front wheel bearings. There is an access hole on the brake rotors. Turn the rotor over while looking in the hole until you see the fitting. I grease mine every oil change (3000 miles), but that's not necessary for everyone. I use my trucks HARD, so I make sure to keep 'em greased up. A couple of times a year wouldn't hurt, though.

I've heard a few people say that the front wheel bearing setup doesn't work well with oversized tires, but I don't know, as I always run stock size tires (on my trucks, anyway).

The few locals that I know that have spent the $$$ to convert from fulltime to parttime with a 203 truck have been unhappy with it, and still don't get so much as 1 mpg better than my stock fulltime trucks.

Regardless of popular belief, you're NOT pulling any more RPMs with a fulltime setup than a parttime. These old trucks get poor mileage because they are HEAVY...PERIOD! Plus, 318-2Vs aren't the best MPG setups, either...:p

Remember, fulltime setups have a differential inside the t-case, so you're not putting the same power to all 4 wheels all the time in Hi or Lo, just in HI-LOC or LO-LOC! The front driveshaft turning has no effect on MPG. In fact, any new truck with "Shift on the fly" essentially has a fulltime front end anyway...just no differential inside the t-case, so you only have 4wd in "LOC", and can't use on dry pavement. :p

JS

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
And since my truck spends most of it's time on dry/wet/wetter/wettest pavement at speeds in excess of 40mph, the F/T (all wheel drive) is a HUGE gain over these part time guys who slow me down in the snow and end up on the side of the road anyway cause their crap doesn't slip like mine (lockers accounted for, of course)

Question: If I put a limited slip in the rear, will that have an adverse effect in the snow? I like to play in the mountains and stuff? What about a limited slip up front w/ the FT 4x4? will that all lock up on snow and cause me to fall into a ditch?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the coments..the reasons im swithching out the fornt end 1... got it complete for 75$....has a fresh d44 with the matching gears, mine is worn out, 2 the full time bearings here cost about 120$ a side with seals, with my shop discount!! im curantly running 33" tires and moving up too 35s soon... and they just eat them bearings up quick.now i can get a part time kit just for the t-case for about 65$. will be getting it soon and installing it. will be doning a how too with lots of pics for the site.a few friends around here are intrested in seeing it done.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Now that's a good reason to go P/T. The big tires can do wonders on them bearings, which is why I'll probably limit myself to 32x10.50 until I can upgrade the axles.

Is there such a thing as a Dana 60 F/T axle?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
AdventurerSport said:
Wow. I have always gotten great gas mileage and unbelievable traction with fulltime NP203 setups, and never had a problem with front wheel bearings...why do some people insist on ruining good Fulltime trucks by converting them?

Hey, how about this, rather than ruining a good truck, why not sell it and buy a newer than '79 (parttime) or older than '75 (also, parttime) Dodge truck?? Wouldn't that be simpler and cheaper??? :)

Good luck with whatever you do, but you won't get any better fuel mileage (still a HEAVY truck), and just have more work to do when you do want 4WD...

JS
I disagree....I picked up 2 mpg when I converted mine over......and I have not had to change the wheel bearings since i converted it, and i have run nothing less than 38.5 x 15 tires....for the last 12 yrs

·
Registered
147 Posts
It isn't worth 2mpg to me to get stuck all the time...:p

Yes, there is such a thing as a Dana 60 fulltime front, but they are RARE and SPENDY! :)

You can put limited slip/locking diffs in a fulltime truck, depending on the application they can LOCK UP and give you a ride, but not as bad as you think! :) Go for it, overall you'll like it.

Also, if you all really want 2mpg better, why not just get a newer truck and have it over with?? :)

JS

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I didn't 'get stuck all the time'...actually, the only time I did, was when it was still full time.

I had a full time dana 60...converted it over to part time too.

And it is a heck of a lot cheaper to convert to part time at 500 bucks, than to buy a newer truck at 10,000 bucks or more.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
But can you go 75mph in 4wd? Not that it matters anyway, but at least I can break 40mph...and that comes in very handy in this very wet area.

Guess it all depends on your environment too; climate, topography, etc...

Around here, it's wet and we have mountains and hill EVERYWHERE so F/T 4wd is a benefit because traction is always available at any speed. As for the mpg issue, converting to P/T around here would be useless as no vehicle gets it's mileage potential with all the traffic and steep hills.

My .02 cents. :p :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
Well, I didn't 'get stuck all the time'...actually, the only time I did, was when it was still full time.

I had a full time dana 60...converted it over to part time too.

And it is a heck of a lot cheaper to convert to part time at 500 bucks, than to buy a newer truck at 10,000 bucks or more.
10,000 for an early-mid '80s or early '90s Ram with factory lockouts?? Ok...that's a little high...

As I said, sell your fulltime truck to someone that can appreciate it, then buy a FACTORY Part-Time truck if you like them so well...

Fulltime only '75-79, parttime all other years, so many to pick from

good luck

Thanks again Raminator, where I am is also inconvenient to get around without fulltime 4WD. :)

JS

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I can tell you live out in the middle of now-where then...but around here, that is about the going price for a used truck in good shape. And for me, unless it is 15 years newer, it's not worth wasting the money on.

Now, Lets' see, have I told you to sell yer truck ?? Have I knocked you for your choice to stay full time ?? NO!!!....so don't give me crap about my decision !!! It is my truck, and I can do with it what I want to.

I have simply told you what benefits I got when I converted it over, and I am not the only one who has seen these benefits. Just because you like a full time truck, which gets even worse mpg, because you feel you NEED full time...well...I just won't go there. Does everyone that lives there have a full time 4wd vehicle ?? Of course not. Then how do they get around without it ?? Maybe they drive differently. I'm sure if they can, so can you.

If you get stuck in 4wd...then where are you ?? you gonna put it in 8wd ?? I learned a long time ago...you don't go playing off road in 4wd right away. Cuz if ya do get stuck, yer stuck. I've followed other makes around off road, while they were having problems steering and keeping moving in 4wd, I followed them in 2wd with no problems....but I used some common sense in my driving, not pedal to the metal like they were.

AND if I was to get a factory part time truck, then I'd have to deal with weaker cad axles, and different body styles, which I don't like.

And yes, I can and have done OVER 75 mph in 4wd,,,but why ?? If the road conditions are good enough to go that fast, you have no need to be in 4wd.

BTW..ALL full time dodge trucks have the grease fitting on them for the wheel bearings. They put it there to make sure the bearings got greased because it was harder to take apart to grease than other axle designs. If the fitting ain't there, it's cuz someone broke it off. They are also the only trucks I have ever worked on that could be greased that way.

So...Like I said...IT IS MY TRUCK, DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BUILD IT !!! I haven't knocked your choice to stay full time...so stop knocking my choice to convert mine to part time.

And if you are wondering about how many mpg it saves, consider this...those big outside mirrors dodge used can cost you as much as 1/2 mpg too.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Hey now...no insult intended...I'm not knocking your setup...rather explaining the pros of F/T so there is another opinion out there. Your truck is a lot more outfitted than mine is, so I have no room to be knocking anybody...just debating, that's all.

As for other people w/o full time, I'm one of them...in my cougar (RWD). I drive just fine, but I just stated that I like the extra security a F/T setup offers me. As before, your environment may be different and require a different setup based on your preferences.

In no way am I knocking your rig...Just want to make it clear that I intend no offense. ;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey now easy boys.....mpg means nothing too me anyway its on propane..like ya said build your truck your own way...and lets all try too get along....hehehhehe

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
ok..Raminator.....that was directed at the person in IA....not so much you.

I understand that some people prefer full time, and I have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with when the issue of converting it over is brought up, and I voice the benefits I got when I converted mine (others on here have seen the same benefits), and I am told to sell my truck instead of 'ruining' it ?? And blasted cuz the 2 mpg isn't 'worth it to get stuck all the time' ?? It's comments like that that aren't needed here.

Advice and opinions are ok..but blasting someone and telling them to sell their truck..that is uncalled for.

That is what got me upset. Not the fact that their are opinions out there that I don't share.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.