Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rebuilt the front end of my 2 WD R/C with a set of Prothane bushings. I bought them from Phil's Inc. Phil's has a direct link from the Prothane site. My cost was delivered was $29.71 plus they reimbursed me $2.44 because between the time I ordered and the time the bushings came in they had a price increase. I liked the fact that they stepped right up and made it right. I will say that Phil's orders the parts from Prothane when you order them from him. Expect a 2 week turn around.

On to the bushings.
1st: Order extra Prothane grease (it's special for urethane bushings) they sent one small tube with my order. It was barely enough, I would have been happier putting a lot more on for the installation but I had limited time to have the R/C down. I was pleasantly surprised that they included the 4 upper and 2 lower bushings. This made the cost (even with shipping) less than rubber bushings from Autozone.

2nd: The installation went a lot easier than the removal of the old bushings. If you don't have one borrow a ball joint press from Autozone. This and an impact gun helped a lot. This is also the reason for extra grease, you'll want it. I found that pressing the bushings in and then pressing the inner races in made things go a lot easier. Once you have the bushings installed in the control arms you'll need to lever the arms back into the frame. A lot of prying was necessary.

3rd: The ride. I did the this rebuild when I replaced my upper ball joints, some tie rod ends, center link and lowering springs. I can tell you it's like night and day. The combination really improved handling immensely. The first week or so the upper bushings squeaked (another reason for the extra grease) after that they quieted down considerably.

4th: I will be ordering the rear spring bushings, transmission mount and strut arm bushing in the near future. I'm very happy with both the product and the service.

This is what I ordered for my '86 2 WD
P/N 4-203 CONTROL ARM BUSHING KIT 1 EACH 19.77
www.philsinc.com
www.prothanesuspension.com
JT

·
Registered
810 Posts
Did you find that the urethane bushings made the ride more harsh?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ride is firmer but not harsh. It's not bone jarring or anything like that.I did cut the coils at the same time. Almost all the slop is gone as well.
JT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts