Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The only cons are the ability to find parts. There are some, but not a fraction of the parts available for chevys. Other than that, these trucks are bullet proof and a joy to drive. Especially the 70's convertibles on a warm summer day.

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
Pros - solid axles, strong engines, parts interchangeability

Cons - fuel mileage, lack of parts availability, some electrical circuit issues (that can be fixed if interested in reliability)

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,346 Posts
Pro's - the coolest and best name for any truck ever plus the best drivetrain

Cons - now everybody wants one

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,346 Posts
Reactions: Lzed

·
4,346 Posts
My dad bought his F-250 new in '79 and babied the crap out of it, you could eat off of it, it was always so clean and it looked like Swiss cheese by 1993/4. He had all the rust repaired and it came back again by 2006. Then he wrote it off. Triple face palm. Lol.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The biggest con i can think of is the roof design around the windshield. I know that is where they can rust bad on the trucks. The pros are like everybody else has said.​

·
Super Moderator
29,601 Posts
Pro- Reliable, capable, all around cool.

Con-With the exception of two years, the engines are pathetically weak, some parts are impossible to find used and not manufactured anymore and a general lack of quality replacement sheetmetal.

·
4,346 Posts
Just curious, what two years are you referring to? The 383, 400, 440 were available till '78. That's 5 years of production. Plus even the old LA 360 was no dog to me. My 440 in my old Ramcharger was a beast, especially in 4LO.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Pro- I bought a running/driving 76 RC in 2004 for $500. Had big tires, LDS, good running 318, headers. mechanically sound.

Con- Needed paint, tailgate didn't match, after 6 months I stupidly traded it for a 78 D100 SWB that had a knocking slant six.

Bucky

·
4,346 Posts
Pro- I bought a running/driving 76 RC in 2004 for $500. Had big tires, LDS, good running 318, headers. mechanically sound.

Con- Needed paint, tailgate didn't match, after 6 months I stupidly traded it for a 78 D100 SWB that had a knocking slant six.

Bucky
Lol

Attachments

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Super Moderator
29,601 Posts
Just curious, what two years are you referring to? The 383, 400, 440 were available till '78. That's 5 years of production. Plus even the old LA 360 was no dog to me. My 440 in my old Ramcharger was a beast, especially in 4LO.
The 383 was never available in a Ramcharger, it died in 1972 and since no big blocks were available in '72, no 383. As for the 400 and 440, they were powerful compared to the small blocks of the time, but pathetic compared to the late '60s and early '70s big blocks. With nothing but de-tuned and emissions choked engines, they were not very impressive by even small block standards. They had torque, but no real ass to them and usually fell flat on their face in higher RPMs and speeds. Same with the '80s era small blocks. Very anemic compared to the competition. The Magnum engines were about the only engines that were remotely interesting as far as power for their size.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
My 360's were all capable of chewing on pherds and shove it's.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Pro... one of the more rare pop top version supports. Just don't see many of them.

Con... Definitely harder to find and harder to find parts for. For me the hunt is half the fun though.
Eric

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't see any cons, except for one...

My wife hates that I'm spending money on my RC and not her

You should get two, one for you and one for the lady ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,499 Posts
My 360's were all capable of chewing on pherds and shove it's.
To expand on what Elwin said above and because I feel an FAQ coming on: any motor as shipped by Chrysler 75-80 is gonna be gutless regardless of displacement. How much and in what RPM range does depend on 318/360/400/440. RH tangent: while re-reading up on turbines lately I saw an article that claimed that project was paused and all the engineers reassigned to solve gas emissions.

Typical of early and true Mopar design, it's nothing you can't fix with a couple of wrenches. They de-tuned the motors in 2 different ways. The most obvious one being dropping compression and smoothing out the cam. 78 440-4 was spec'd as 8.4-1. One step up from the bottom of the cam chart in the DC/MP catalog will wake up a smog motor. see also 9:1. The fairly clever one was use of vacuum signals to control engine rpm (TIC), spark advance (OSAC) cold air fuel mix (CCIE), egr (CCEGR, egr delay) and fresh air injection. 77 400-4 ELBs were 50 state legal without cats. Now leave me alone I'm going back to my jet car.

Some engine builders will say the later 440 blocks are stronger than the early ones. 71-73 340-4 intake is a beautiful piece of iron. Step one on a day 3 car was a basket of spaghetti into the dumpster. On one of mine I left 100% of it for appearance but it's all disconnected. All other things being equal, big block torque is much more enjoyable than small block torque.

One more RH tanget:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts