Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I got rid of mine because my truck originally came with drum brakes all around. I would have to open the door and drag my foot to help stop it.
My goal, when I got my truck back in December '73, was to fix the horrible brakes.
It took me about 12 years to convert to disc's on the front. It took me another 8 years after that to put disc on the rear.
I did a lot of things between those years to improve the braking.
I got rid of the stock proportioning valve around the rear disc conversion. It just made adjusting the front to the rears do much easier with a adjustable one.
You already have better brakes than I did stock. You should be fine with what you have.
As mentioned above... put fresh fluid all the way through your system. Brake fluid will get water in it. Water will destroy lots of things.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I got rid of mine because my truck originally came with drum brakes all around. I would have to open the door and drag my foot to help stop it.
My goal, when I got my truck back in December '73, was to fix the horrible brakes.
It took me about 12 years to convert to disc's on the front. It took me another 8 years after that to put disc on the rear.
I did a lot of things between those years to improve the braking.
I got rid of the stock proportioning valve around the rear disc conversion. It just made adjusting the front to the rears do much easier with a adjustable one.
You already have better brakes than I did stock. You should be fine with what you have.
As mentioned above... put fresh fluid all the way through your system. Brake fluid will get water in it. Water will destroy lots of things.
So your truck had horrible brakes when it was new? My experience with 4 wheel drums was good brakes unless they got hot from frequent use, or they got out of adjustment.

Bucky

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Should I soak the prop valve, if so in what? Brake fluid? Do I need to worry about debris falling into the holes if I clean out the ports, or will it all just flush out?

Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Wood
Jaw Gesture Plant Wood Art

·
Registered
31,416 Posts
l,d soak it in a [ use a coffee can or what ever] with brake fluid and then blow it out with compressed air

use a tooth brush or whatever to clean it up / l would NOT take it apart unless you have replacement parts handy [ o-rings and seals ] like what was said before its a NON wear item = if it aint broke dont fix it

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
l,d soak it in a [ use a coffee can or what ever] with brake fluid and then blow it out with compressed air

use a tooth brush or whatever to clean it up / l would NOT take it apart unless you have replacement parts handy [ o-rings and seals ] like what was said before its a NON wear item = if it aint broke dont fix it
Thanks Dean. I'll grab some DOT 3 tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
And for the love of all things good and righteous, keep the brake fluid off of the paint! Flush and rinse it with HOT water first and then blow it off making sure not to mist it all over the side of your wife’s car…it would be all bad

Reactions: jonn6464

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I took mine apart and put it back together. The rusty junk wasn't coming out any other way.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts