Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a link to proper adjustment of shift / downshift linkage on a 727 trans. Everything I am finding on the net is more or less concerning early shifts at WOT for a performance car. My truck is nearly 100% stock, I do believe the trans has been out, and probably adjusted wrong. It shifts one-two-three as soon as I move, and it never automatically downshifts at WOT.  At WOT(seldom) from a dead stop, it does the same One-Two-Three.
I only want to know how to adjust the linkage properly, not wanting to mess with governor weights & such. I know how important pressure setting is on these Mopar trans, and I am taking a fairly long trip this weekend where automatic downshifts would be nice. Thank you, Crossy

BTW- the Macungie, Pa. truck show this weekend June 13-16, and is featuring ’D’ trucks this year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Start by unthreading the shift down linkage at the carb connection a few turns at a time and test driving it each time. You want it to shift 1-2 around 40 mph at wot. Make small adjustments at a time until you get it in that area. That should help your part throttle shifts as well.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the long flat slotted ling AT/On the carb , should be held forward with a spring from the throttle rod at the stabilizer to the carb pin . then loosed the tee clamp bolt down on the transmission throttle lever  called "adjustable swivel" slide the lever forward to increase throttle pressure , and snug the adjuster bolt . test , adjust , test ... some don't have a spring on the trans end of the rod....  click on pix it should enlarge  YOU said 727 and I assume its a rod type NOT a cable ...

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
There isn't any wot stop inside the valve body for the throttle valve. The stop is on the idle side of the arm's travel, it's a screw with a lock nut that is supposed to be set to a certain height to stop the lever travel. That spool valve is not designed to be bottomed out in the casting at wot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.