Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
searched through the forum but did not find any clue. I am into rebuilding my RC 1979 SE have to remove the body alone without damaging it. But own a car lift. Front and fenders engine etc. are removed. Any good idea were and how to lift the body from the frame? Maintaining Balance... Roof still installed. Doors /lower rear gate still installed. Windows gone only door windows still installed. Where to lift the body without damage ? Any idea how much it will weight ? Any help. Photo etc...

Thank you

Thomas

·
Registered
758 Posts
I lifted my RC off the frame with a 2 ton jack and a 4x6, slowly raising each side and putting 2 4x4s on blocks as I raised it.  I put the 4x6 "south" of the front body mounts and "north" of the rear body mounts.  The 4x4s were about even with the front body mounts and even with the middle of the rear wheel wells.  I had NO deformity of metal.  I have no idea what my RC weighed minus the front clip...I had doors/top/tailgate on it and never had a problem.  I lowered it on the new frame reversing this process.

If I were using a lift I would probably put a 2x10 laying flat to distribute the weight for the front lift points, putting it behind/beside the front mounts.  Then I would "shim" up the rear lift points to get on a "body strut" that goes where the bed is...like the 2nd or 3rd from the back "strut" (the braces that go from east to west)...hope that helps?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you wish to lift the body from the frame you should carefully jack it with blocks of wood as close to the body mounting points to frame and then mount it on something to keep the structural integrity.  Body shop guys call these body rotisseries.  You can make one out of two engine stands and some structural steel if you can weld.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you booth of you guys for your input and ideas. Some told me to use ratchet straps between the lift arms. Can't imagine to do this without bending here and there some stuff. Maybe somebody did this and and has some pictures. I will try the 4x4's also. Btw. is there a source for new rubber body mounts ? No polyurethane please. I want to keep him stock as far as possible.
Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,240 Posts
The pinch welds will be strong enough to lift from. Just make sure you have them centrally located on the hoist arms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.