Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Drew said:
Anyone have info on doing propane injection on diesels? Any good sites? Pros or cons?
There are plenty of sites that deal with propane for diesels.

In a diesel engine, propane acts as a catalyst to increase power.

I don't think it would be much of a benefit for a Cummins owner when there are plenty of aftermarket performance parts available. Propane is fine for lesser diesels that have little available in terms of performance, a Cummins is capable of producing over 600hp on straight diesel.

Other disadvantages, why fill two tanks each with a different fuel when only one will due?

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
well it would be a benefit in the fuel efficiency area. Just think, if you can squeze 22 mpg out of the cummins without propane, if you added it you could be in the 30's.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
SamsGurl said:
well it would be a benefit in the fuel efficiency area. Just think, if you can squeze 22 mpg out of the cummins without propane, if you added it you could be in the 30's.
By itself propane contains less energy per volume than gasoline. Diesel beats out both. The propane mixed with diesel improves efficency thru a more complete burn. The problem with propane is you still have to refill the tank. If you gain an increase in mpg (I doubt it would be an 8 mpg improvement) not only do you need diesel at around 1.80 per gallon but the propane as well at sometimes similar price per gallon. (Both prices dependent on region) Therefore for the slight improvement in mpg, you have to pay almost double the price in fuels instead of buying either diesel or propane. Admittedly propane doesn't burn at the same rate as diesel so you may not use up the propane as fast, but you still need the fuel, which brings up another issue. One of space. Propane tanks take up space. Sure you can install the tank under the truck if it's small, but then you use up the tank faster, requiring more frequent fill ups.

If we were on a forum discussing how to improve power and efficency of an old GM 6.2, propane would be a great way to improve the 6.2 because they lack the design and aftermarket support nessary to improve them. The Cummins can be said to be the diesel equivalent to the small block Chebby in terms of aftermarket parts and support.

For the money, a diesel upgrade will improve efficency without the need of having another fuel system.

Ed

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
I have talked to people that claim 30 mpg with propane. In simple terms propane just allows for a more complete burn of the diesel fuel. More burn = more energy = more power. People that have it claim it is awsome. They also say even with small tanks they go through 3 or 4 diesel fill ups before they need to refill their propane, some claim 10 fillups (big tanks and how much propane you are dumbing into the system affects this too), and propane is super cheap.

BTW, if you are nit picking on space, which most of us aren't since we have trucks for a reason, they make inline frame 20 gallon tanks that would occupy a space that you would never use anyways. I would put a propane tank under my bedmounted tool box if I had one.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
RXT said:
The Cummins can be said to be the diesel equivalent to the small block Chebby in terms of aftermarket parts and support.
OMG!!! :eek: Did he just say something good about a chevy?!?! :eek: ;D

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
phoenix827 said:
OMG!!! :eek: Did he just say something good about a chevy?!?! :eek: ;D
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I'm not a Chebby fan, but I'm not ignorant to the fact that the sb Chebby, enjoys the biggest aftermarket availability for performance parts, and has always had huge factory support.

There isn't another light truck diesel anywhere that enjoys the availability of aftermarket performance parts and huge factory support as the Cummins does.

Case in point, you can bomb a Cummins to pump out over 600+ hp running solely on straight #2 diesel. You cannot do this with either a Furd Powerchoke or Chebby Duramutt without having to resort to propane.

Ed

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
BTW, if you are nit picking on space, which most of us aren't since we have trucks for a reason, they make inline frame 20 gallon tanks that would occupy a space that you would never use anyways. I would put a propane tank under my bedmounted tool box if I had one.
I was watching an old episode of Horsepower TV today, and they did a propane injection system on a Ram 2500. Had the 20 gallon frame mounted tank (had universal mounting brakets, but they mounted it to the frame) like you mentioned...didn't look hard to install, and they gained 77 horses (no mention of torque gains). Pretty slick set up. Even had an off/on switch, so you didn't have to run the propane all the time. Forget what company it was from though.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
what about using a Impco 425 type propane carb mounted over turbo inlet? could something like that work? it would be a little more elaborate than a simple on and off solenoid.

should be cheap and plenty adjustable tho ???

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
That's way too much gas. All you need is a little nozzle. And I'm an authority on little nozzles.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
You guys are giving me ideas for my work truck!!! Problem is, it's a Ryder, so it need to be small, simple, hidden and VERY easy to remove!

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
phoenix827 said:
You guys are giving me ideas for my work truck!!! Problem is, it's a Ryder, so it need to be small, simple, hidden and VERY easy to remove!
Any ideas? hint, hint ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts