Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

181 - 200 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Maybe remove u-bolts and jostle the spring around.  Who am I kidding.  I'm 49, bad shoulder, kids too young to mow grass let alone wraunch on an old truck with old dad.  Maybe just drop the skidder.  Thwn I'll see rust onnthe straps.  Next month truck frame is rolled out and I'm begging wife to tell a sad story to Chip Foose so he'll finish what I started. 

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Chilly said:
But now I need help from the laziest man in the room. Front bokt is out. Must I drop the tank skid plate? Whats the trick? I could NOT drop the tank but shimmy the axle to and fro and try to get it clear. Then I'd have to disconnect shocks and brake lines, and... lazy.
Cut the bolt. Install new bolt from the other side.

That's the first fuel tank skid plate I've seen on a Ramcharger.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Agree.  Cut bolt put new one in from other side.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Springs are out.  De-rusting some hardware.  I like Evapo-Rust.  It's pH neutral so I dont have to be concerned for paint adhesion later.  Soak for a month, it wont harm the base metal.  Shackle on right has been soaking for about 14 hr. 

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Still waiting on spring bolts and bushings.  Fixed hammered plastic bushing on rear hatch striker bolts. I think someone on here recommended fuel hose.  Seems to work, and cheap enough to replace if it doesnt last.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
SECOND attempt at shackle bushings and bolts also werent correct.  They were the "hat" shaped kind, accepted 5/8 bolts, and were 1.25" OD.  Problems are I'm not sure if hat brims would be too wide, which didnt matter because my shackles take 1.125" OD bushings.

Rockauto lists 1" OD, 1.25" OD bushings.  I'm done.  I just ordered new shackles that come loaded with bushings.  Tired of having my garage packed full of Ramcharger on jackstands. 

·
Registered
801 Posts
Chilly said:
But now I need help from the laziest man in the room. Front bokt is out. Must I drop the tank skid plate? Whats the trick? I could NOT drop the tank but shimmy the axle to and fro and try to get it clear. Then I'd have to disconnect shocks and brake lines, and... lazy.
FWIW, I just cut my bolts out and replaced from the other side :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Been away a while.  Fixing up reloading shed.  Back to the Ramcharger.  I do have new rear springs installed.  Seems decently level.  Here in TN most guys under 50 like ther front about 2" higher than rear.  When I first moved here I thought everyone was hauling gravel.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Could use another 1.5 to 2 degrees on pinion.  Found a shop that'll weld on perches for not a terrible price so gonna snug everything up and take it down for them. 

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Have been unsuccessful at sealing passenger side valve cover.  This morning pulled it AGAIN and scraped clean AGAIN but I'm not messing with black felpro anymore.  They seem hard right out of the wrapper.  Gonna try silicon rubber. 

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Chilly said:
Could use another 1.5 to 2 degrees on pinion. Found a shop that'll weld on perches for not a terrible price so gonna snug everything up and take it down for them.
Be careful. I might leave that as-is. Or test it out for while longer. When the axle wraps under load, the pinion will rise to be inline. (depending on how sturdy your leafs are.)

What you don't want is to start with it inline, and under load it wraps to angle the 'wrong' way. (My buddy setup his truck wrong like this, and could toss the rear shaft anytime his right foot wanted :-X )

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
You male a good point.  Tom Wood who built driveshaft recommended about 4 degree difference to accommodate axle wrap.  I'm about 2 deg from that, including the 4 deg aluminum shims that came with spring pack.  And this is a brand new spring pair, which will settle some.  And RC is completely empty.  Maybe I'll run as-is until springs settle in a bit.

About springs: my bushings have the factory style steel inner tubing that is wider than the bushing itself.  On the take-off springs that inner liner was firmly pinched between ears of the hangers.  I gunned down the spring bolts until these are likewise pinched.  I did this with vehicle weight on the springs.  Is this correct way?

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
yeah , those ears / the sleeve /and bolts are not suppose to be wear points , the rubber is suppose to twist . all that design becomes a question however when "we " install springs with a high arch that causes more rotation ...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Waiting on Moroso valve cover gaskets before I can fire it up and test driveline for vibes.  Might as well drop that gas tank skid plate to see whats going on up in there.  No need for the jack, how much could it possibly weigh?

Answer: about 50 pounds with the California crud packed inside it.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Pulled well-cracked plastichrome grill to access battery tray screws.  Are all aftermarket grill surrounds created equal?  Quite a spread on prices but all photos look the same.  Is one as good as the next?  Are ANY of them any good?  While its off I might as well change it out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Scraped, chipped, wheeled, sanded, washed, rinsed, sprayed with rust converter.  Because there is chance of gas wetting I'll spray with engine paint.  It seems significantly more resistant to oil and solvents and I have a can surplus to my needs. Converter says to topcoat after 24 hr so waiting game begins.

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Chilly said:
Pulled well-cracked plastichrome grill to access battery tray screws. Are all aftermarket grill surrounds created equal? Quite a spread on prices but all photos look the same. Is one as good as the next? Are ANY of them any good? While its off I might as well change it out.
None of them say DODGE if that matters to you.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
I'm OK without the branding. 

181 - 200 of 302 Posts