Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a productive few days. I finally got around to using a few parts I received from dodge boys! Thanks again Dean! Ps the fsm saved me time and probably saved lots money on a few parts I would have bought I didn’t necessarily need.
I dropped the tank and fixed the vent tube, now I can fill up on this four dollar gas in a timely manner!

I got the factory fuel gauge and the factory oil pressure gauge working and installed a rear view mirror. After lots of of time and energy all my lights and blinkers work properly, both horn buttons and horns work and I got my wiper motor working I just need to install new wiper arm bushings and then the cowl. On a side note whoever engineered the bolt locations for the wiper motor didn’t take into account a lift kit and me being 30 lbs overweight.

·
Registered
31,150 Posts
a side note whoever engineered the bolt locations for the wiper motor didn’t take into account a lift kit and me being 30 lbs overweight.
it sucks being old and over weight LOL

the secret to installing the wiper bushing is a pan of boiling water to soften the bushings

·
Registered
106 Posts
it sucks being old and over weight LOL

the secret to installing the wiper bushing is a pan of boiling water to soften the bushings
Yep, and removing the linkage to get all of them replaced other than the one attached to the wiper motor arm (whatever it's technically called). Just did that this weekend, and I ruined a few of them trying to figure out how the linkage was supposed to work (they were disconnected), but it's another one of those jobs where it takes a few hours to figure out how to do the first time and then 10 minutes the second time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It’s been a productive few days. I finally got around to using a few parts I received from dodge boys! Thanks again Dean! Ps the fsm saved me time and probably saved lots money on a few parts I would have bought I didn’t necessarily need.
I dropped the tank and fixed the vent tube, now I can fill up on this four dollar gas in a timely manner!

I got the factory fuel gauge and the factory oil pressure gauge working and installed a rear view mirror. After lots of of time and energy all my lights and blinkers work properly, both horn buttons and horns work and I got my wiper motor working I just need to install new wiper arm bushings and then the cowl. On a side note whoever engineered the bolt locations for the wiper motor didn’t take into account a lift kit and me being 30 lbs overweight.
How did you fix the vent tube? I used the tip to use a 5/8" valve stem, worked great.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
On a side note whoever engineered the bolt locations for the wiper motor didn’t take into account a lift kit and me being 30 lbs overweight.
I'm not too overweight. Nor is my truck excessively tall... but it can be a pain working on it most times.
At one point in time... I used two ladders on each outside of the engine bay. Ran a plank across between those two ladders and made a scaffold over the engine to provide a more comfortable access. I got to lay down to work on it. And take a nap too. ;D

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,457 Posts
I'm not too overweight. Nor is my truck excessively tall... but it can be a pain working on it most times.
At one point in time... I used two ladders on each outside of the engine bay. Ran a plank across between those two ladders and made a scaffold over the engine to provide a more comfortable access. I got to lay down to work on it. And take a nap too. ;D
Shit, that's what i need! I've always wanted some type of scaffolding so i can reach the top of the engine. The only problem is how do i get up to the plank and then off of it :unsure:

·
Administrator
61,878 Posts
These are what I use. For a while there, Homedepot & Lowes both had them for around $20 for their black friday specials. So now I have one to keep in each truck.

Furniture Outdoor bench Outdoor furniture Line Gas

Reactions: jcm3

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The engine bay is so big in our trucks you can easily get in there. I'm 6,4 so if I can do it so can you.

Edit: Oh I forgot you're 60 years older than me ;)
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Shit, that's what i need! I've always wanted some type of scaffolding so i can reach the top of the engine. The only problem is how do i get up to the plank and then off of it :unsure:
Harness and a cherry picker?
Sorry. I poke fun a people that are not handicapped too.
Mostly myself. Oh wait... mentally handicapped. :)

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,457 Posts
Lol, ya a cherry picker with a long pump handle and release lever! Lol
Don't worry about poking fun at me, my skin is very thick and i embrace free speech - unless the guy's a dick - then it's time for a slap 👍

Reactions: jcm3

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
The engine bay is so big in our trucks you can easily get in there. I'm 6,4 so if I can do it so can you.

Edit: Oh I forgot you're 60 years older than me ;)
View attachment 629130
Another wise guy... eh? ;D
The ONLY reason yours is bigger... you've got a way smaller engine in there.

Yep. I'm 6'1". My problem is my feet. They can get wedged into some places where it's hard to get them out.
My favorite thing to do is to stand on the top, front part of the leaf spring. Fairly comfortable position to get to most things.

·
Administrator
61,878 Posts
I have been sitting on the fenders doing engine work since high school. Now the darn fender is harder to get on.

Reactions: Lzed

·
6,457 Posts
I used to love sitting in the bay while wrenching, it was like a luxury. Was never able to do that in my cars.

·
Registered
31,150 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
to go with those tire steps work great

View attachment 629147
Interesting concept.

Fyn thread, I've had some pretty productive days lately, too. This Ramcharger I just bought was so neglected, it pisses me off when people mistreat cars like this.

Every step reveals the next thing wrong with it.
  • Dropped the gas tank to replace the vent grommet, fuel sending unit and rubber fuel lines
  • Replaced the carb, valve cover and valley pan gaskets
  • Fixed a bunch of vacuum leaks, broken PCV valve and grommet and crankcase breather and grommet
  • Then I could actually drive it, but the brakes were trashed so I did full brakes (including calipers and wheel cylinders)
  • Got new tires, since they were dry rotted and cracked
  • Replaced the windshield wiper bushings, but need to get new wiper arms so I can test out the power of the wiper motor
  • Just changed the tranny oil, adjusted the bands and replaced the shocks, and drove my son over to my parent's house to hang out. It was only 85, and it was running HOT. So I just ordered a new radiator cap, water pump, thermostat and gasket and a fan clutch

The booster is probably bad and the mc is leaking, so those are on my list this week and next weekend. The driver's side valve cover is still leaking, so I bought a new set of valve covers and will swap those out with new gaskets (again) to try to fix that.

Every week it's a new project until I get it reliable, but love this thing. It's SO SLOW, I need to do a compression check to see how things look, I can't imagine it doesn't need at the very least a valve job, but want to see what the compression looks like first. The hope is it doesn't need a rebuild any time soon, won't have money for that. I know the 70's were dog years for power, but this thing doesn't make anywhere near the factory horsepower rating. Fingers crossed.

I want to use it as a daily driver once it's reliable and sell my 2005 F250, I've always been a lover of older cars. While I'll miss the modern conveniences, I love firing up a big V8 and the sound, smell and feel of classic rides.

·
Registered
31,150 Posts
The driver's side valve cover is still leaking, so I bought a new set of valve covers and will swap those out with new gaskets (again) to try to fix that.

the valve covers are probly "dimpled" around the hold down bolt holes , you need to use a small ball peen hammer to flatten the flange out so the V/C wont leak

·
Registered
106 Posts
the valve covers are probly "dimpled" around the hold down bolt holes , you need to use a small ball peen hammer to flatten the flange out so the V/C wont leak
You are correct, sir. They're pretty thrashed and one has a big dent in it, so I ended up buying some of the cheaper Edelbrock chrome ones from Summit and will swap them out when I pull the mc and booster.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts