Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my stock quadrajet on a 87 RC has a problem when the temp goes below 50 It starts & runs fine but if i try to go to soon (before it gets completely warmed up) it will not take the gas it will stumble & stutter for a mile down the road then it will smooth out run fine. all summer long this problem stopped happening but now that the weather is changing on the east coast its showing its ugly head again. what could this be?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The problem is the carb sucks. I must be an idiot, because I couldn't get the quadrashit on my wife's 69 Camaro to run right for even a day. Holleys for me, thank you. Any Holley can be tuned for a MoPar in less than an afternoon. shoot some carb cleaner down it when you change your oil to keep things clean and forget it's even there.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am not a carb man,but mine is acting the same way.

It's a Holley, and the mechanic said it was the accelerator pump or power valve i do not know the difference?

When the trucks cold it idle's fine but if you try to go before it is warm it chokes out then gradually pick's up until warm then run's fine.
The choke and the resistor are new !
I am going to replace the carb itself very soon and try to rebulid the old one for a spare!

·
7,995 Posts
You could have a bad/marginal accelerator pump, your choke may be out of adjustment, weak bimetal(choke) spring, or if its electrical, not heating up fast enough due to old age, your choke pull off which works off vacuum may be bad or out of adjustment and last if your air intake is equipped with heated air intake, that may not be working properly.

·
Registered
990 Posts
It sounds like you didn't let it warm up... Very few carburetors mix well when cold. The temperature change should be the clue. If it ran fine in the summer, and acts up until warmed up in the winter....

It could also be the summer gasoline is still being supplied to the gas stations... It doesn't vaporate as well in colder weather...

Are your other vehicles fuel injected?

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts