Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one wonderful morning my 1990 Ramcharger 5.9l just did not want to start. It just cranked and cranked and cranked. I previously had a similar problem and I took it to the place where I normally get my oil changed. No judgment please, it is on my 2016 Ram and 2013 journey so I could do it, but it is easy to let them do it. I used to live in a townhome so I started taking it there and just kept doing that. Sorry for the tangent, but needless to say when I took my Ramcharger there, I kinda got the vibe that they did not want to work in it. Which is fine I bought it so I could work on it. But I needed to get it back on the road quickly so I took it to them. They said they replaced the fuel pump or fuel filter, or something. It was running so I did not really ask. I know I should have asked for more details, but whatever.

A couple of months later, the fuel line came off the pump and left me on the side of the road. This time I just had it towed to my house, I dropped the tank and saw the line hanging there and reconnected it and it was sending fuel back to the engine instead of all over the street. A few weeks later is when it decided not to start again. I figured it was the fuel pump and I dropped the tank to check it out. I have come to the conclusion that I do not know as much as I thought I did. So I have been digging thru the boards here and I am assuming that I am not finding what I am looking for is because it is pretty basic and I should already know how to diagnose this.

So to cut to the chase, my first question is the fuel pump water resistant? When I dropped the tank I left it in my driveway uncovered and it rained. It did not rain hard. The tank did not get too wet and I am not sure if any water got in the tank. I left part of the filler hose on so a few drops may have got in. I will probably drain out the rest of the gas. I did drain out a lot of it before I dropped the tank. I am going to see if I can plug it back in to see if I actually can hear the pump kick on. I did not check for a clog, but that is my first area of confusion. In this model is there an inline fuel filter? I have been reading all over and just getting more confused.

Where can I get a replacement fuel pump if the one I have is toast? My fuel gauge sorta worked since I got the truck. The needle moves, but I don't think it is accurate.

So where should I start?

Thx

·
Registered
29 Posts
If all the fuel lines are intact and not leaking, then put a full bottle of seafoam in the tank. Seafoam will stabilize the moisture that may have gotten inside the gas tank. If the engine started after a fuel filter change then that indicates heavy fuel system contamination from the fuel filter to the fuel tank and fuel pump. Also the seafoam will disintegrate any other contamination in the system. It may take a bottle or two. Invest in a locking fuel cap! Most people are jealous beyond belief of the mighty Ramcharger! Especially a magnum RC! If the seafoam does not work then a new fuel pump is necessary after a fuel system flush. This is only my opinion. Seek more professional mechanic help for better results.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes the 1990 factory manual shows an in line fuel filter in the frame rail , I have seen them on the crossmember .
you want to use hose for fuel injection ( better than the old carb hose ) use the new style clamps that have a screw and a nut , not the old radiator clamp style .... the fuel pump AND the fuel gauge sending unit can be purchased as a unit , I myself can't recommend a particular "brand" . yes additives will fix a "few drops" of water , yes the tank is water proof ( on top , it needs no truck above it to protect it from rain ) it is very wet under a speeding truck in the rain....  water can "clog" some fuel filters , the paper gets wet from water , gas don't pass thru well . while there check for a ground wire bolted to the frame near the tank , its needed for both the pump and the gauge ...

if your hose ends have a crimp "clamp" carefully cut the crimp lenght wise and remove it , replace with screw/nut type clamps  . If touching your hose instantly makes your hands a black that don't come off easy , the hose is shot , dry rotted .

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Fuel filter should be on the frame, roughly under the driver's seat area.  A little water in the gas won't hurt too bad, some Seafoam or Stabil or similar product can help move it on through the system, but unless it's a couple cups of water in the gas, I wouldn't be very concerned.  The pump itself is easy to test to see if it's running.  It will come on for a second or two when you first turn the key on, so you can turn the key like you are going to start, but don't crank it, and you can usually hear the pump come on and cut off.  If that is working, you can test for line pressure with a test gauge to ensure it's putting out correct pressure.  If the pump is bad, you can get it at any parts store, I prefer RockAuto.com these days, and install it.  It will just be a pump, not a complete fuel module and you must be careful with the plastic connectors on the pump module as the modules are not made by anyone anymore and are pretty brittle after all these years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have not had a chance to take a look at it yet. I put the gas tank in my garage. I am going to take a look at it today and let yall know. Hopefully, it is not anything too crazy. I want to get back in my RC already... LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.