Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I dropped the oil pan to check on the condition of things, and to replace the oil pump (BTW, in reference to discussions back in in late May, on a '79 W150 Club cab, one does have to remove 2 engine to transmission struts, the starter, and the transmission inspection cover to drop the oil pan).

As dirty and crappy as things looked under the valve covers, I expected the worst. I was quite surprized to find very little crud in the pan and everything looked quite clean up in the "innards"

Anyway, as for the oil pump.....With the pump and screen assembly in the upright position (as it would be mounted in the truck), I poured oil into the top of the pump. I then (in a big pan of oil) immersed the screen and spun the pump counter clockwise with a drill to make sure it was moving oil. Then keeping it from tilting and draining any oil out, I mounted the pump into its position on the truck.

Is there any more to do to prime the pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I had the same issue. Took the pan down, replaced the pickup screen. Had issues with the rear main so had to tow to garage. The guy that did the rear main said that he primed the oil pump but take the coil wire off and crank it over a couple of times. I then posted on the site and the reply was the same. About 5, 5-10sec bursts of crank to make sure the pump is primed. Remember to disconnect the coil wire. Mine fired right up after that and oil pressure came up. No issues, should be good to go. Hope this helps

·
Registered
30,059 Posts
mother MOPAR makes an oil pump priming shaft to do this job / l dont have the part number off hand but its pretty cheap / CHUMP should pop in any minute

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I went with Bluebeast's advice. No problems. Had this been a new or rebuild, I think I would have gone with Dodgeboys' advice.

BTW, I took apart the old oil pump for grins and giggles. When I pulled off the cover over the screen pick-up, I couldn't believe how much crud came out! Betcha things work better now!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i could have told ya you had to pull the support rods, starter and insp cover to pull the pan. i really should take my old pump apart and see the crap that comes out of it.... but when i primed my pump i just poured about a half quart of kendall 10w30 down the pickup and turned it till it came out the output port.. worked for me... 40lbs of pressure at idle..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts