Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Predator carb

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  wycowboy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
You could put that on anything with a square bore pattern 4BBL manifold.  They are a very basic carburator though they do work well in certain applications.

#4 ·
The guy across the street from my dad had one on his drag car for a while, then he went back to a 4bbl.  No idea why. I wasnt old enough to care about that stuff yet. I just liked the weekends at the track to watch racing. Im pretty sure it was a predator anyways. Square, wierd and had a bird on it.

Im going out that way this weekend. If hes home, ill ask him about it.

#5 ·
I know a few guys that used them in truck pulls, usually in some exotic looking dual carb tunnel ram setup years ago.  I know one guy who tried one on his drag car and said they were junk and went back to a Holley.  That was a long time ago and I guess it made an impression on me since I've never really considered a Predator to be a good performance carb.

#6 ·
I was always under the assumption that in WOT use it would be a good unit.

Then again, my brain waves are a lot different than other peoples. I do not consider the ebrock carbs all that great, but others disagree and claim they are the best thing since sliced bread.

#7 ·
I think it depends on the person's level of expertise.  A Edelbrock/Carter AFB carb is a good carb to bolt on and forget, similar to Quadrajunks on some engines.  People who are more carb savvy and know how to tune them and have the patience to do so typical like a more versatile carb.  Then again I consider myself to be decently familiar with carbs and Holley 4BBL carbs in particular but my opinions are sometimes colored by random "information" I learned a long time ago as with the Predator carbs.

#9 ·
Elwenil said:
I think it depends on the person's level of expertise. A Edelbrock/Carter AFB carb is a good carb to bolt on and forget, similar to Quadrajunks on some engines. People who are more carb savvy and know how to tune them and have the patience to do so typical like a more versatile carb. Then again I consider myself to be decently familiar with carbs and Holley 4BBL carbs in particular but my opinions are sometimes colored by random "information" I learned a long time ago as with the Predator carbs.
The irony lies in the fact the main argument for having a carb at all is it's tunability. What good is that if you aren't going to use it?

#10 ·
s ǝoɾ said:
The irony lies in the fact the main argument for having a carb at all is it's tunability. What good is that if you aren't going to use it?
It depends on the application I suppose. If you have an farm or work truck that you don't want to spend all day/can't spend all day tuning then you go with a ''bolt on and go on'' job. I have friends with carburetor on their 4.3's in their Toyota mud trucks and the love the edelbrock carb for this reason. Just got close on the CFM's and bolted it on. They all seem happy with them.

#11 ·
The predator carb was a full on race carb back in the Pro Street days of the '80s. Out of the box they don't even have an idle circuit, but one was available separately. it was marketed as a one size fits all single barrel no adjustment carb that operates by the throttle linkage controlling the venturi size and fuel being metered based on engine vacuum.  If memory serves me they were rated from 390 to 930 CFM. the fact that 90% of people in the car hobby today not knowing what they are lets you know how good they were. lol. basically it was something that looked relay radical and they sold just to give the loud look at me pro street fad of the 80's something to go wow over.  David

#13 ·
yea i asked about this carb at the drag races and got about the same respons as david just typed out lol ...its a pretty neat carb just not all the popular ...and yea sam ran one on his original rc from the first ram jam i remember that much ....i remember watching the headers glow was cool ... ehh good times anyhow ...

#14 ·
Elwenil said:
I think it depends on the person's level of expertise. A Edelbrock/Carter AFB carb is a good carb to bolt on and forget, similar to Quadrajunks on some engines. People who are more carb savvy and know how to tune them and have the patience to do so typical like a more versatile carb. Then again I consider myself to be decently familiar with carbs and Holley 4BBL carbs in particular but my opinions are sometimes colored by random "information" I learned a long time ago as with the Predator carbs.
I can tune a carb, just got tired of doing it. You still need to tune an Edelbrock/Carter though. They are just the easiest to tune. I can usually have one where I want it in 30 minutes.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.