Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 542 Posts

· Registered
32,211 Posts
my lovely wife has been in the hospital with pneumonia [ they are calling it covid pneumonia ] none the less , up until yesterday she was do'in great and the Doc said in a week or two she should be out of ICU and onto therapy to get her strength back , well l just got home from running to the hospital at 3 am this morning [ love them 3 am calls ] my wife went into Cardiac arrest , they revived her but is now in a coma [ she has eye dilation so she is NOT brain dead ] and l,m praying to GOD she comes out of this

her name is , Susan Marie Slonski-White , and she is the love of my life , please pray for her

Reactions: jcruse64

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
thanks for the prays , they did the "cooling" yesterday [ it slows the body down to lessen brain damage ] in my morning report [ they call me twice a day ] and said they Warmed her up this morning and she 3/4 opened her eyes and she responds to tickling of hands and feet [ which she didnt do before the "cooling" ] visiting aint till 2 pm and l,ll give you guys an update later

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Suzy today responded really nice , l stroked her hair and told her " l love her" and she looked at me and tried to mouth my name [ at least l hope/wish that is what she did ] she is very ticklish on the feet and she responds by looking at that foot and shaking her head [ too stop ] l fell asleep last night writing this [ aint been sleeping much since Thursday morning ] she responds to all touching and voice [ the Doc said that after such a traumatic event [cardiac arrest ] the brain shuts down / he says it could take days or weeks for Suzy to come back , but it also depends on how much brain damage happened ] thats what Scares me the most

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
this morning report was a very good one , her eyes are now completely open and she is more aware of her surroundings and people coming and go'ing, in and out of her room

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
yesterdays visit was lack luster as she was really sleepy, the reason for that is they put her thru a battery of procedures/tests - they took her out of the cooling bed - sent her down for brain scans - chest x rays [ lungs] stomach x rays [ feeding tube] - and to be evaluated by physical therapy and the BIG thing is she got moved back to the "step down unit" and out of CriticalCareUnit // l didn't get any test results as they were just bringing her back when l showed up to visit

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
so today my visit with suzy was a tear jerker , if l get her attention and stroke her hair and tell her l love her, see looks me straight in the eyes and starts crying and try'in to say'in our pet names of "babe" by mouthing it , l did this 3 times in my hour visit , if you could see it , she is tired and hurting and really hard not to see that she wants it to end , she is not hurting physically but emotionally /mentally

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
so today l got to talk to the first Doc that talked to me man to man and made sense [ instead of the "l,m better than you condescending A-holes] he explained that if suzy does not come around soon [ couple weeks ] they are gonna consider her comatose and ship her to Greylock nursing home [ only place that will take a comatose person] from there she will languish till she dies not being able to talk and bed ridden

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
the Doc today told that she was weak before and the cardiac arrest weakened her even more to the point she will never get the Trich tube out of her throat and never be able to talk again even if she comes out of the coma and even as she is be bed ridden , this is fukn killing me

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
1/17/22 rehash of what was already posted to include left out info

today l got to talk to a Doc that really made sense , first thing was about a DNR , suzy in her weakened state [ Myotonic Dystrophy ] pryor to even go'ing to the hospital was even weaker after getting over being sick , there was only a 50/50 chance she would have recovered enuf to have the trich tube removed , suzy being the fighter l know she is would have made it happen , but then the cardiac arrest and the coma made her even weaker , too were the Doc explained that even now if she comes completely out of the coma by then the trich tube would never come out and suzy would never talk again , he also mentioned the fact l should sign a DNR just in case she has another 'cardiac arrest" which would either kill her or would surely put her in a complete comatose state from the shock of another event

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Myotonic dystrophy (DM) is a type of muscular dystrophy, a group of genetic disorders that cause progressive muscle loss and weakness.[1] In myotonic dystrophy, muscles are often unable to relax after contraction.[1] Other manifestations may include cataracts, intellectual disability and heart conduction problems.[1][2] In men, there may be early balding and an inability to have children.[1] While myotonic dystrophy can occur at any age, onset is typically in the 20s and 30s.[1]

Myotonic dystrophy is caused by a genetic mutation in one of two genes. Mutation of the DMPK gene causes myotonic dystrophy type 1 (DM1). Mutation of CNBP gene causes type 2 (DM2).[1] DM is typically inherited from a person's parents, following an autosomal dominant inheritance pattern,[1] and it generally worsens with each generation.[1] A type of DM1 may be apparent at birth.[1] DM2 is generally milder.[1] Diagnosis is confirmed by genetic testing.[2]

There is no cure.[3] Treatments may include braces or wheelchairs, pacemakers and non-invasive positive pressure ventilation.[2] The medications mexiletine or carbamazepine can help relax muscles.[2] Pain, if it occurs, may be treated with tricyclic antidepressants and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).[2]

link below for members that wanna read the whole article

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
suzy was having problems before she got sick as she had been to the hospital several [5] times in the past few years with 'carbon dioxide saturation' [ not exhaling enuf used breath ] and they would put her on Oxygen and then a Bipap for the night and she would come home the next day , of coarse with 1 of those blow in breathing things and told to use it to exercise her lungs and that would last about a week and then forgot about , the Doc told us the last time that if it happens again they would put her on Oxygen , this is the reason l brought her to the hospital on 12/17/21

suzy had shallow breathing that morning and acted like being OUT of it and could not stand up without help and l took her straight to the hospital , her oxygen level was at 87% which is low [ An oxygen level below 88% can be dangerous for any period of time. An oxygen level below 85% warrants a trip to the hospital ]

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
so for now l,m gonna sign the DNR today and then ride it out till they are gonna kick her out of the hospital , and decide weather or not to pull the plug [ l,m fukn cry'in as l typed this ] also suzy, l tried to make her as happy as l could these last few years but still she was frustrated - angry and sad about not being able to have a normal life and do what she wants , it's the reason we never had children and that really bothered her because we tried so hard right after we got married ,as she really wanted a little girl , we talked -argued - yelled and cursed about it often , and here's the BIG one , she talked often about wanting to die and that if she became bed ridden she would NOT wanna live like that , or to the point that she would hafta go to a nursing home and because of that she often talked about suicide [ l took all her "dangerous" pills away last year ]

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
l brought the essential oils [ lavender - vanilla - peppermint and black cherry ] and l put the lavender on her nose and she smiled as she really liked it , she reacted by moving her head and opening her mouth with eyes wide open , so after a half hour of stimulus of tickling her feet and holding her hand and talking to her , the Doc showed up and we started to talk about the DNR and the [ my least favorite subject ] pulling the plug , l put the vanilla on her nose , she did NOT like that at all and with the Doc standing there suzy made more deliberate body movements than he has seen since the coma [ he tests suzy every morning for a response ] he was completely blown away that she reacted like she did and changed his whole out look on suzy , he said he will look into the 5 sensory simulation info l gave him , l,m praying and hoping for the best but dreading the worst

l still hope

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
he explained that they have a SET test they do [ American Medical Association ] standard test every morning , all it involves is snapping their fingers - flash light in the eyes - barking commands to see if she responds // my 5 sensory method = touch - smell - sight - hearing - taste is something he has never heard of , but l impressed him with the responses l got from suzy

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
todays report is AWE inspiring , suzys older brother is a minister [ dont get me wrong l wholly believe in GOD , but never had much use for the church or a priest much less a minister ] l got him into visit at the same time as me [ pulled a few strings ] by saying he was there to administer "last rights" [ covid lock down rules dictate 1 visitor at a time and only 1 visitor per day ] he did the most awe inspiring sermon l have ever seen , and suzy thru the whole thing kept her eyes wide open and at the end he asked for a KISS and she puckered her lips , l was completely blown away by this , he pretty much did the "fire an brimstone" type of sermon to drive the devil out , l just wish l had a camcorder [ my phone sucks] to record it , he was rather LOUD do'in it [ he was go'in for 20 minutes ] and the head nurse came in at the end and matter of factly told us that the double visit was for him to just give "last rights'" and leave

l have a new found respect for the clergy and GOD

Amen

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Dean, that's some very encouraging news. Is she able to communicate with you very much, like perhaps eye blinking? Or is she still too weak and that would be too straining?
she is definitely too weak , even before the cardiac arrest and just from fighting the covid she didnt have enuf strength to write on a note pad , she can move her arms but not lift them , even after the 20 minute sermon she fell fast asleep , l could not wake her to say good bye , it was a little disheartening but l understood

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
l just got my morning report , not much happened over night but the nurse this morning is washing her hair and suzy is smiling [ suzy loves to have her hair stroked and scalp massaged ]

also here is some info that the nurse just let slip , suzy is on a feeding tube and they just found out the stuff they are pumping/suctioning [ every few hours ] out of her lungs is the feed bag contents , so they stopped feeding [ for now ] now the juicy part and l quote= thats what they think caused the cardiac arrest , she puked up into her lungs and she couldn't breath

a little history / suzy has had gastro intestinal problems for years , they know this as thats where she has been going for treatment , l told them this when she was 22 days in the covid ward , now l,m putting 2 and 2 together and they called me Wednesday evening because suzy was in distress and wanted to do a face time badly , we got thru it and suzy wanted her "orange" pills , the only orange pills suzy takes are her stomach pills to keep her from puking [ she puked up all the time if she forgot to take them ]

so thats what l thing caused it was the bad SHIT that their feeding her , l asked the nurse if the bag stuff could be bad , she said NO its got a DATE on it , then l asked her if she every bought something that was BAD but still had a good date on it , and she said YES she had , then l asked her again could the bag shit be bad , she said it could be possible

l,m just wondering if other patients are getting sick from the stuff

dont mind me l,m just rambling , the bag stuff could be good and it was just suzy

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
You bring up a very valid point tho. Plus... what IS in the bag? ie: McDonalds or Whole Foods? They could be giving her stuff that just doesn't agree with her.
that is my theory as suzy was/is on a very strict bland diet , just about everything made her wanna puke

l,m gonna take a good hard look at the bag stuff today [ l,ll take pictures to post also ]

Reactions: RCCADMAN

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
so yesterday was very interesting to say the least , sorry it was late and l was tired and didnt post the update but here it is

tonights report as far as suzy go's was pretty good as l didnt get the reaction that "father joe" got last night , but close , suzy woke UP and looked me right in the eyes [ like she use to ] and looked at me with those "understanding" eyes when she knew l was either distressed or bothered and she started crying as did l , l asked her for a kiss and she pukered her lips , it was one of the sweetest kisses l,ve every had
so today l lit a fire under the Aholes after they threw Joe out of suzies room last night , which was completely wrong , l started this morning by calling "newell" he is the patient advocate [ nice guy as he helped MOM ] he told me l had to call the "patient relations office" which l did and the lady was out of the office , but covering for her was the head of the "clergy" dept , a women l,ve talked to plenty of times , she was there when MOM was do'in really bad and l talked to her the other day when suzy was do'in bad [ nice lady ] l told her about the nurse throwing a priest out of the hospital during a sermon [ last rights ] she didnt SAY anything but l could tell by her responce she was also NOT happy , she told me that the LADY would call me as soon as she got back , so l get a call [ l downloaded the BHS visitation rules this morning ] from the "public relations" lady , she asks me what was wrong and l told her [ she already knew the story before she even called ] EXACTLY what happened and she apologized profusely , she wants to have Joe come in and issue a "public apology " for what the nurse did , also to set him up as a clergy so he can come and go at will any time day or night with NO resrictions [ you can visit suzy ANY time you want ] l also am gonna be set up as a "care giver" which means l,m NOT a visitor but a "care partner" and l dont count towards the visitor log [ neither does Joe ] so more people can visit [ like Ttt my sister ] l,m also gonna find out about the PCA clause in the rules that say a personal PCA can care for suzy day or night without restrictions to the point of even sleeping over night . tomorrows meeting should be pretty interesting to say the least , from what the lady said ALL the BIG wigs in the hospital will be there

the reason for the "prefered" treatment is l have "friends" like a lawyer and a reporter for the local paper , l called both of them up yesterday and told them what happened and l wanted them to put the fear of GOD into them , but we were NOT gonna sue or run the story about " Nurse throws Priest out of Hospital giving last Rights " as a headline but to just confirm that l had contacted them about it , my reporter friend started grilling the public relations lady for details and she hung up on him , it cost me 4 beers last night for him to do that , man did we laugh , my lawyer buddy l wont see till this weekend to find out what he said or did to her , but like l said my meeting with her today should be interesting

Reactions: jcruse64

· Registered
32,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
just got off the phone with the nurse for my morning report [ her name is Jody and she really takes care of suzy , she even does the essential oils on suzy , the other nurses wont touch the stuff / l just wished she worked all week instead 4 -12hr shifts , the good side is suzy has her for 48 hr's a week ] they moved suzy to a new room and Jody says suzy is way more alert than ever to were the Doc actually saw it and because of it their sending her down for another brain scan , this is very good news

1 - 20 of 542 Posts