Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was soooooo tired of one front wheel turning when in a jam and I am not financially ready to drop the cash I want to for an OX locker and lower gears.
I needed a quick and fairly cheap traction aid for my most recent off road excursion and for $240 PowerTrax seemed like a pretty decent quick fix.
I was pretty much right cept for the fact that PowerTrax advertises "insertable locker" and for a lot of Dodge D44's it isn't simply "insertable" at all!!
If you have the thick ring gear you cannot get the spider pinion shaft out with the ring gear in place so you have to take the entire carrier out and remove the ring gear for the install. If your lucky enough to have the thin ring gear you can do the entire install in the rear.
I was taking picts and was gonna do a full tech write-up on it but soon as I realized the whole rear had to come apart and I was running out of time in a hurry, the camera got sidelined.

Even with it being a much bigger job than I planned I have to say that the money spent and the time it took was well worth the outcome.
My RC was a different animal, I mean when I hit it both front wheels hooked and pulled like mules!!
Even with my crappy azzed MT Baja's I was going through mud that I would have bet against.
I did a bit of rock crawling and flexed the suspension out completely all the while the PowerTrax worked like a charm. Sometimes to a fault and not unlocking so as to make steering on some tight mountain passes a bit treacherous.
All in all I would recommend it to anyone on a budget with decent mechanical skillz.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
powertrax is a locker

I had no problems inserting it in the rear of mine, but I did have some probelms with the ring gear...4.56's and the center pin don't like to play together well, so I had to grind some of the high side of the tooth off.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am thinking of getting one of these for my 90 W150, but was wondering how it affected steering when your in 2wd and 4wd? ???

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
sugarkid_99 said:
I am thinking of getting one of these for my 90 W150, but was wondering how it affected steering when your in 2wd and 4wd? ???
You will need to ditch the auto hubs for selectable manual ones. This will restore the original pavement manners. Otherwise, even with the CAD disengaged and the TC in 2wd, the pass side shaft is still spinning the locker. It will pull the truck to the right. As far as handling in 4wd, you will notice a stonger "return-to center" feel and in really low traction situations heavy understeer ( plowing even). I'm locked up front ( Aussie locker) and it seems like a no-brainer good mod for my uses.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just the answer that I was looking for!!! ;D Time to order the lockers for the front and rear ( I know how it affects the rear end!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts