Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That little thingie between the passenger side exhaust manifold and the header pipe. Chiltons calls it a PHV. I noticed mine had lost the steel line that supplies vacuum to this valve. The valve was staying shut. The truck had begun having hard starting problems, poor idle when cold, and was running about 20 degrees warmer than it should. I hooked up a new vacuum line and the starting problems lessened (I still have choke issues) and the temp returned to normal.

Might be something to look into if you're having these kind of problems

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
mine was completely unhooked for a while, but remained in the open position. I was thinking there's a spring in there that holds it open and the vaccum closes it hen necessary.

hooking mine back up did make some positive effects with mine also.

You know any details about the timer doohickey mounted on the pass fender that the vaccum line goes through? Like when does it do what?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to figure that out now. Apparently it allows the EGR to remain closed during startup. There is a sensor or probe in the intake manifold right behind the carb that senses the temp of the A/F mixture. At a certain temp, the sensor sends a signal to the timer which allows the EGR to open. And actually, the timer is mounted on the driver's side near the starter relay. The thing on the passenger side is a solenoid that receives a signal from the EGR circuit and opens the heat valve.

I think

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.