Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
87 RC w/power doors window etc.

I recently purchased a keyless entry and it needs to operate your standard relay through 87 and 30.

I just purchased two relays to get this done but before I get to far I am curious if they are allready there or if the power doors are just hardwired in. As far as I can tell the are just hardwired right through the switch.

Anyone know for sure? Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
'87 was the first year without the relay. It's a 5-wire Ground-At-Rest system. Basically, instead of having the solenoid leads "floating" (not connected to anything) and applying both positive and ground in the proper polarity to operate the lock depending on which way the relay is thrown, in the GAR system both solenoid leads are grounded at all times. When you push the button to "unlock", it reverses the unlock lead to positive. "Lock" works the same way. The big difference from relay activated locks is that the lock/unlock pulse goes through both switches on its way to the solenoids, and since they are always grounded, connecting a positive pulse from the keyless directly to either wire will cause a short. So in order to add keyless, you have to put in SPDT relays in line with the switch wires, which will pass the signals through so you can still use your buttons, but it can override them when the you click the keyless. You will have to either buy a prewired relay pack from a sound shop (expensive) or ebay (real cheap) or make your own (really really cheap and easy). Either way, you will have to cut into the door-to-door harness behind the glove box. I'll take a look at mine tonight and try to draw it up nice and easy.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I did just try to hook the contacts in directly. It worked. Once. and then blew the fuse. I am not that familiar with the SPDT relays but I am damn good at electric so any more info would be great. Thanks so much and I'll be checking back. Thanks again.
Mike

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Ok, the wires you need to cut are the Orange and Pink. The ones without tracers. I don't remember which is which, (I THINK orange is unlock, but don't hold me to it. Just put a test light on one and try the switch. Whichever function makes it light up, there you go. I found this diagram (looks better than what I drew up ;D ) Basically you will need 2 SPDT relays (look just like the ones you have now, but they have a 5th terminal labeled 87a), and prewired 5 wire sockets. You can get these at any electronics store (and I think radioshack), you can also just put spades on the relay terminals, but the sockets are fully insulated. Looking at the diagram, you should be able to figure out what you need to do.. Right behind the glovebox, tied to the firewall is the bundle that goes door to door, with a black connector. Strip back the wrappings about 3" and cut the wires on the driver's side of the connector. The wires coming from the driver's side MUST be connected to the "Switch" side of the relay, and the passenger side go to the "Motor" side. (If you do it backwards, there will be a short when the keyless activates). If you need more help, let me know.

Matt {peace}

Attachments

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That drawing is awesome Matt! it does make sense and the two relays I have are the exact same! Unfortunately am leaving to work out of town till Friday and will probably be coming back to a snowstorm. I will definetely get working on it this weekend and let you know if I got it! Thanks for all the help, if it weren't for this site my RC would still be on blocks!!!
Thanks again, Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.