Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 85 crew cab dually has a 440 that's been their for awhile but i have never had to remove the valve cover till now. I have the large brake booster on my truck. I always see that you need the smaller brake booster, what did the smaller booster's come on? The part store's around here are idiot's and their favorite question is what vehicle is it in. ::)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think you can find the smaller brake boosters in small block trucks. If you have some money, I believe Summit sells a brake booster relocater kit. Not sure of the $$$ tho.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
get a 3/4 ton dodge truck brake booster it's small but has the ability to push as much fluid as the big booster ... get it form napa for 80 bucks i think ....

·
2,317 Posts
try looking for one from a 75-78, 3/4 - 1 ton 440 equiped truck.

·
2,317 Posts
the 1 ton bb bosters are smaller in diameter, but deeper. you can remove the vc with no problems.
advance auto parts, 77 w 300 7.2 ci .(440) cardone part # 5473353 $112.88 plus core

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i am a damn idiot. I do have the small booster. ;D I read that the large one is around 11 inches and the small a little over 8 inches. I can't get the valve cover off that's why i thought i had the big one. I will have to check summit to see if they have a relocation kit. I don't like not being able to remove the valve cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All Dodge Trucks with 440's have this problem. You must have the cast aluminum aftermarket valve covers. The factory (stamped) steel covers can be taken off without a problem. You can also get this version in chrome or stamped aluminum.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really wish i had a digital camara to take pics. I have a set of stamped chrome valve covers. The valve covers have a recess where the booster is. My booster measures right around 8 inches across. I can lift the valve cover off of the head, but you can twist and turn it but it won't clear the rocker arms before it hits the booster. The booster really needs to move up about 1 inch and i believe it would be fine. It's a 85 crewcab dually so it had a 360 originally. I tried turning and twisting the valve cover for about 45 minutes to find that perfect spot for it to come off. No luck. :mad:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. As for the people who say they have removed the valve cover with the booster on maybe they have have worn engine mounts or new body mounts. You could put a body lift on to gain the room but it would look funny.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had several 440 70's Trucks. Have 2 right now. I can tell you from the factory valve cover by brake booster can be taken off without moving booster. If it can't someone has made a modification or something has moved. I do not have a repair manual but I'm sure if someone out there does it will tell you this. Since your Truck is an 85 and 78 was the last year for 440's in them I would guess your problem is the installation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts