Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site, and hoping to be a Ramcharger owner in the near future.  I am looking at an 85, and wanted some input as to whether what was underneath the body was something to avoid, or if it ain't that bad.  It's out of state so I can only go by pics (attached if I did it correctly).

Any input is much appreciated.  Thank you! 

Jim

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Looks pretty typical for a vehicle of that era from the rust belt.  Could be a lot worse, but could also be a lot better.  Looks like someone added a deeper Derale transmission pan so it so it could have been hot-rodded a bit since it doesn't look to have been used for towing.  If the body does not show similar rust then I would be checking for new paint and a lot of body filler just to be sure.

Is it just the angle or is the catalytic converter not connected to the muffler?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.  It does look like the catalytic converter is not connected from the one pic, and I didn't see any other pics where you can tell for sure.  The body isn't perfect, but it does look better than the underside.  Seems to be a good combo of options (Prospector/SE) with the 360.

The other one I am looking at is an 88 and has some rust in the lower panels, and a 318.

Was leaning towards the one with the 360, but if the typical rust belt condition is something I should avoid, then I will keep looking.  Figured this was a good place to help me find a good truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
being from MA thats real clean / damned near brand new to me
stay away from the 1988 to 1991 TBI trucks unless its a STEAL of a deal

·
Registered
232 Posts
Spray the entire underneath with Husqvarna bar and chain oil and send it!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Unless you get on of these trucks that has been stored well, or from the west coast you will see these conditions. To me it looks like the rust hasn't gotten far enough to do real damage. Could be better, but it ain't a rust like some I found for sale around Ohio. Would take some time to clean the frame to stop the rust. The body looks good though. Just comes down to how much they want for it to be worth it. I personally wouldn't pay more the 3k, but that's my opinion on the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Buy one from the southwest and have it shipped. i just bought a 77 2WD pop-top with hardly any rust on it from the original owner in my home state of Washington for $2500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.