Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon I'll be heading back to Michigan with my T/D. It's a '78 with a 2 bbl 360 and auto tranny.

I'm thinking about a big block swap when I get there, because I'll have plenty of time on my hands. My question is, what should I choose from, since my step-dad has several late 60's to mid 70's big blocks. Here's the ones I'm pretty sure of:

Mid '70's cop car with 400, a '70 or '71 Charger with a 383
or several other 383's from other cars such as Newports and Fury III's and other huge land yachts.

All have auto trannies (I assume 727's though I may be wrong) I know I'll need to find a big block tranny / transfer case to fit, unless I go with a divorced transfer case (is a divorced case a good or bad thing on such a short 4x4?)

Are there any particular 383's that are better or worse than others? When did they start using emissions gear? The reason that these are my choices is the price. FREE!!!

Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated,

Bob

·
Registered
619 Posts
any of the engines would be good, but keep the 383 in the charger incase you want to restore it later. i would go with one of the 383's (more parts if you break something, since you have many 383's). as far as trannys, im pretty sure that the 727 will bolt up to the big block and you wont have to get new stuff. but if you do, dont get a divorced t-case especially on a r/c because the rear driveshaft will be very short.

·
2,317 Posts
big block trans are all 727. you can take a big block 727 case and your small block 4x4 727 trans out put shaft, put it in the bb 727 bb trans. motors before i think 73 didnt have harden valve seat to work with unleaded gas.if you use a car motor,you will need to get truck motor brackets,oil pan,pick up tube,dipstick,exhaust manifolds or headers, rad, and think about a smaller brake booster. what was the ? lol

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
78machowgn4me said:
but keep the 383 in the charger incase you want to restore it later..
The Charger is beyond a resto, so that's not a concern

bigdog440 said:
motors before i think 73 didnt have harden valve seat to work with unleaded gas.
Will I be able to get hardened valve seat put in if i get the heads rebuilt?

bigdog440 said:
you will need to get truck motor brackets,oil pan,pick up tube,dipstick,exhaust manifolds or headers, rad, and think about a smaller brake booster.
Thanks for reminding me, I forgot ;D. Why would I need a smaller brake booster?

bigdog440 said:
what was the ? lol
Are there any particular 383's that are better or worse than others? When did they start using emissions gear? Ya, sorry about that, it was burried in the middle of the paragragh;D

·
Registered
189 Posts
loosewheelbob said:
If you have the flatter, larger diameter brake booster it will not clear the valve cover.

Joe 8)

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Yes any good machine shop will be able to put in hardened seats for unleaded gas ... Also be ware of the fact the power steering is set pu a tad different than car from the 70's ..... if you can find all the bracketry off a BB truck and you will need manifolods or headers forthe exhaust .... you have read the how to on the 440 swap right ?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did read about the 440 swap, that's part of what gave me the idea. As far as the brake booster goes, I shouldn't need to change it according to www.bouchillonperformance.com if I use a 383 or 400.

All the tips and info have been great so far, I now have a good idea as to what it will take. What I really want to know is what engine I should use. All need rebuilt, so that's not a deciding factor. Like I said originally, I have a 400 from a police car, a 383 from a Charger, and several other 383's from sedans.
What should I look for to decide?
Are any better than the others?
Should I pick the 400 or one of the 383's?
Are there better heads and intakes on some years / makes of cars?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
id definely take the 400 if u even think you might modify in the future.

chances are it will have the good heads. #452 with hardened valve seats. same ports as famed #906 but with good seats.

·
2,317 Posts
Joe_Cool said:
loosewheelbob said:
If you have the flatter, larger diameter brake booster it will not clear the valve cover.

Joe 8)
in my 78 club cab, i put a 400, then a 440. with the 440 i couldnt take the valve covers off. with a small booster, it will be easier.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a 400 in my 76 W100 (came stock) it hasent been modified other than a 4bbl intake and a Carter afb comp 650 cfm carb awesome low end torq but not much on the top end (can you say truck motor) gets me around and with my NP435 it crawls like a sob.

oh yea it has a 1'' carb spacer also.

neighbor of mine has a slightly modified 400 in a 76 w100 (3/4 ton running gear 33'' and 4.10 gears) thing hauls @$$

1 - 11 of 11 Posts