Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a '96 1500 with the 5.9 and love it (even with 12.6 MPG). The brakes are spongy and you need to lift your butt off the seat to press down hard enough to stop. i installed new speed bleeders and bled the lines, it didn't help. I followed the power booster tests (chiltons) and it seems to pass. I looked at the rear disks and front pads and all seem to be in working order. I am currently replacing all pads and springs, but don't think it will solve problems. The truck brakes do not drip any fluids. Any help would be appreciated.
-Andrew

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Brakes ain't one place to drive it while you figure it out .... if you can't figure it out for sure .... not that i know for sure myself lol .... Ummm....seems like if you are pushing that hard to stop the MC would be a big culprit (master cylinder) but the 94 and up rigs are a tad different with there braking systems too ....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Master cylinder could be bad as briant said and I would also check the rubber brake lines. They can collapse internally and cause some major problems.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
You may want to upgrade to braided stainless steel brake lines (the rubber lines can swell giving that 'spongy brake' feel). This seems to be a frequent complaint on 94+ Rams (from what I read on various forums). I have never had a problem with my 2000 Ram...I may just be used to the brakes, though I do not have to raise myself off the seat to stop....

Since you bled the brakes, I assume the brake fluid is full and the right type? (DOT 4 IIRC)

-SM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your help! I just orderred new steel lines and will run them this week when I update the rears with new pads, springs and adjusters. Will keep you posted!
Thanks Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts