Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Dodge D350 Royal SE (360ci, 5.9L, Gasoline), 2WD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.

Anyone know what the ballast resistor looking thing is that is mounted on the rear, passenger side of the intake manifold is? Has two blue wires going to it and one black wire that comes from the ignition coil I believe, with a large cylinder on the end and is bolted down on the ballast mounting bolt. I also have a ballast resistor on the far driver side of the firewall. Trying to sort out some runnability and wiring issues the previous owner created. Some pictures attached. First two are of the ballast on the intake manifold. The third one is of the resistor on the firewall.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire Motor vehicle
Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Wood Electrical wiring Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m planning to upgrade to an MSD ignition coil and I am seeing that some come with another ballast resistor, so I’m curious if I will need the resistor they supply or if I can basically just plug it in and use it with the way the truck is currently set up.
I am also having trouble finding these ballast resistors at the parts store. The one on the firewall according to summit racing, local O’Reilly’s and Autozone should have four terminals when I only have two terminals. And the one on the manifold, no one can even find that part for this truck.
It’s a 1986 D350 with the 360.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
The small part is a resistor for the automatic choke.

Your truck should have a two terminal ballast resistor. You will need to use whatever resistor the coil you intend to use requires. Not all ballast resistors are the same and will have different levels of resistance. Using the wrong one can kill performance or burn up the coil.

·
Administrator
60,450 Posts
The four terminal resistor was for 70's trucks. Yours should have two pins as mentioned.

Reactions: taylor822

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The small part is a resistor for the automatic choke.

Your truck should have a two terminal ballast resistor. You will need to use whatever resistor the coil you intend to use requires. Not all ballast resistors are the same and will have different levels of resistance. Using the wrong one can kill performance or burn up the coil.
So I recently put on an edelbrock 650 carb which uses an electric choke that just uses key-on switched power. The manual didn’t mention using a resistor or anything. So that small resistor is doing nothing at this point? Could realistically be removed?
And sounds like local parts stores don’t know what they’re talking about….. Surprise, surprise lol I am a bit surprised summit racing isn’t giving me the correct option though, they’re usually pretty good.

·
Administrator
60,450 Posts
I find routing the power for the choke, through the small resistor device, works better. The original setup looks like it might still be there. It works by routing the power through the resistor when cold, to slow down how fast the choke opens. When the engine is hot, or hot days, it get full power, so it opens quicker.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
well l looked up your Edelbrock carb and your suppose to reuse the factory choke power wire
Font Material property Rectangle Number Circle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well l looked up your Edelbrock carb and your suppose to reuse the factory choke power wire View attachment 621051
White Human body Font Material property Circle

The manual it came with doesn’t mention using a resistor or the factory wire. Just to hook up to an ignition power source. I will be changing it to use the factory choke wire though.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
LOL the factory wire IS an ignition source power wire , thats TOO funny

Reactions: SuperBurban

·
Administrator
60,450 Posts
Either way will work. I just like the resistor, as it slows down the choke opening in winter.

I can see many not knowing that. Carbs and chokes are not taught in school any more.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Either way will work. I just like the resistor, as it slows down the choke opening in winter.

I can see many not knowing that. Carbs and chokes are not taught in school any more.
What's this winter thing your talking about? ☺

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
What's this winter thing your talking about? ☺

KURT didnt we cover this in the other post , about Not pee'in on yer hand as it'll freeze to your pee pee

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
KURT didnt we cover this in the other post , about Not pee'in on yer hand as it'll freeze to your pee pee
Last Thursday night, we went to the granddaughters softball game in Indio (a town next to La Quinta). It was about 79 F. with a steady breeze. And my wife, along with almost everybody in the stands, were wearing windbreakers/ sweaters.
That's where I live.

·
Administrator
60,450 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand that. Not arguing about whether or not to use the factory choke wire, just showing what the manual said.
SuperBurban is right, even in auto shop (almost 10 years ago now) they rarely use even mentioned carbs. All this is still pretty fresh for me

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
I understand that. Not arguing about whether or not to use the factory choke wire, just showing what the manual said.
SuperBurban is right, even in auto shop (almost 10 years ago now) they rarely use even mentioned carbs. All this is still pretty fresh for me

LOL auto shop for me was changing spilt rim tires when l was 10 in 1970 , my father was head mechanic at the largest shop in town , a 22.5 was taller than me and l had to pull them off an change them , then reline the brakes by riveting new linings on , and this was years before l even had "auto' shop at school in JR high , hence the reason l,m a 47 year ASE master mechanic [ retired ]

·
Administrator
60,450 Posts
Yes, I spent many days at Ft Dix back in 1981, changing truck tires & tubes, all with the split rims. Good thing we were not told how dangerous they were. it was about 10 to 15 of us changing about 100 tires. None of us knew what we were doing, But we got it done.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
LOL auto shop for me was changing spilt rim tires when l was 10 in 1970 , my father was head mechanic at the largest shop in town , a 22.5 was taller than me and l had to pull them off an change them , then reline the brakes by riveting new linings on , and this was years before l even had "auto' shop at school in JR high , hence the reason l,m a 47 year ASE master mechanic [ retired ]
"No brag, just fact." Will Sonnett

1 - 19 of 19 Posts