Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 dodge ramcharger I did all kinds of body work to and painted everything underneath and then did a paint job on it. When I was done I put it back together drove it over to get gas. When I came back to my shop I shut it off and then I went to move it later when I did I hit the key it started cranking and would not stop I had to get out and take off the battery cable to get it to stop cranking. I checked wires for a short but found none so put it back together and cranked it and it will not start. I put new distributor on it and a brand new carburetor on it checked all kinds of wires and electrical stuff still To no avail. This has got me stumped I’m a mechanic and this is one thing I can not figure out. I even tried to wire it with a Mallory street fire ignition but they didn’t work either it won’t barly spark and even with either it still will not fire. I hope someone will be able To help me cuz I love this truck and need it for me and my family for this winter.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
stop throwing parts at it first off. Things are dramatically more complicated now that the distributor has been messed with and ignition changed as the timing may be off.

First off check for spark, then check for fuel. check plugs, report back

·
Registered
31,930 Posts
howdy and welcome

stop throwing parts at it first off. Things are dramatically more complicated now that the distributor has been messed with and ignition changed as the timing may be off.

First off check for spark, then check for fuel. check plugs, report back

yup the man above is totally right , you need to step back and take a breath

first thing you need to verify is power to the things that make spark , ballast resister , ECM , coil

but to me it sounds like your starter relay fried [ wont stop cranking ] and the loss of "start" power from the starter relay

now slow down , dont go throwing a new one on there till you test everything [ yes its a slow and tedious process ] but its the ONLY to verify the problem

also to help us help you , detailed pictures of whats on the left fender well and fire wall . basically take a pic standing in front of the battery and back [ like the picture/diagram below ]

l,m also gonna report this post for it to be moved to the correct board

Reactions: Levisdad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems to be in time lined it up at top dead center and it was pointing towards number one plug also I’m not a novice at this all parts I changed was on warentee the starter was to that was my first thought honestly I changed it because it did fry the starter when it kept cranking I went to rewire it with a Mallory street fire ignition as I did with another dodge I had that did the same thing to me but the pickup I had had only two wires goin to the distributor for ignition the ramcharger has three after testing everything it has fuel faint spark as in has spark but isn’t the best and it is sucking air but I checked most wires and have a long deal led list of what I did do to it that has since burned up in a fire I had at my trailer now before all of this it ran great only had a few problems I was able to easily diag as I am a aumotive tec bit as you said when I started getting irritated and was chainring all the parts I had under warentee I felt like I was throwing parts at it. But before any of this happened I did undercoat and paint the underneath the engine bay and the rad support took that off rebuilt it strong and put it back together I had no problem as when I put it back together it started right up then I went to gas station left it run put gas in it and brought it back and bam that’s when this happened I will get pics of the inside of engine bay I didn’t know if any one had a problem like this I feel like it is something simple that I am over complicating because I am so frustrated with it

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If the ballast bypass wire isn't connected to the starter relay you can crank on it all day long and it will not fire until you release the key, double check that all wires are properly hooked up on the starter relay first.

·
Registered
31,930 Posts
basically disco the brown starter wire and have someone hold the key to "start " and you should have full power on the "ballast resister" terminal / also the "starter " terminal should be 0 volts with key off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts