Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you find a perfect wheeling spot, campground, fishing hole, or anything outdoors, post it here for everyone to see. If possible, include a little summary/review. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Corral Pass

On the weekend of July 9, 2004 a few Washington Chapter members met at my house and headed up to Corral Pass for a weekend campout. We headed east up Hwy 410 past Enumclaw about 35-40 miles to Forest Service Road 7174.

The Corral Pass campground is located near the Noble Knob trailhead as well as the Echo Lake and Castle Mountain trailheads.

The area is very nice. There are some established campgrounds up there, but from what I could tell, it was a low use area (then again, the gates just opened a few days before we got there). The trails in the area are very nice and a little extensive. From the Mt Rainier view trail (heading up Castle Mountain), we could see Mt Rainier very clearly.

Highly recommended.

Members shown from left to right: Mark (moparPW200guy), Vik (dart68ladyjeep), Lindsay (James' Wife), and James (Raminator).

Mark on the Mt Rainier View trail.​

A view of Mt Rainier (and Mark's head ;D).​

James and Lindsay sitting on an outcrop at the Mt Rainier viewpoint overlooking a valley.
There's about a 300 ft drop over the ledge.​

Some Mountains comprising the Castle Mountain range due east of the campsite.​

The wheeling wasn't too terribly treacherous, but we drove in at about 11:00 PM
with the cliffs just the the left of us the whole time. :)

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Corral Pass to Echo Lake Trail 1176

Just got back yesterday from a campout with my wife Lindsay up at Corral Pass from July 23-25. We decided to hike from the Corral Pass trailhead to Echo Lake via Trail 1176.

Started out just after 9 AM and followed the trail about 3.2 miles to the lake. The elevation loss for this hike was about 1,881 feet, with most of the elevation loss/gain within 1.2 miles of the Corral Pass trailhead. We arrived at Echo Lake just after 11 AM, took a few compass bearings and rested a while.

There is a great looking campsite there, if you ever wanted to backpack in and stay for the night. Also plenty of wood for fires; and the park rangers sure won't bug you there. :)

The hike down was beautiful and pretty easy. There were streams dotting the whole trail, so if you have a water filter/purifier, you need not carry a whole lot. The lake is also big and beautiful and I did see some people fishing there too.

The hike back was somewhat challenging though. I personally like climbing uphill at the beginning of a hike, when my energy reserves haven't been tapped out. We left Echo Lake around 12:00 noon and arrived at our campsite just after 3:15 PM (mind you, we also walked another 1/2 mile to the north side of the lake to find the campsite, adding 1 mile to our total distance). Heading back was slow since we were already fatigued from the hike down, but when we hit the first in a series of 4 major switchbacks, our pace slowed even more. With the backpack weighing more and more by the foot and the water supply running out, I realized two things: 1, I need a better backpack. 2, I need to get in better shape for elevation gains of 700 feet in +-1/2 mile.

To put that kind of elevation gain into perspective, Mt Saint Helens (which I hiked when I was 16) was a 4000 foot elevation gain in 3 1/2 miles. When I visited Flap Jacks Lakes near Lake Cushman, the trail was about 3,000 feet in 3 miles. 700 feet in 1/2 mile = 1400 feet per mile; which has always been a challenge for me.

Will do it again though, with better gear and more exercise. {cool}

Below are some photos from our trip:

Lindsay was actually draining the cooler, but this was too good not to shoot.​

The Trailhead at Corral Pass campground​

Do you see me? This was the first in a series of streams/waterfalls along the way.​

While resting, Lindsay got a pic of me checking the map.​

More of the trail.​

We made it! Echo Lake.​

A view south from the NW side of the lake.​

Another view from further back; more SE this time.​

Ya sure, she's happy. I'm thinking about the walk back. :p

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noble Knob from Corral Pass Trailhead

Yeah, I know that Corral Pass has been mentioned on all three of my places of interest, but it's just a launch pad for our day hikes...and there are a bunch of good hikes there. :) (I'm gonna also post a full Mt Rainier View trail report next, which we also did this weekend.)

Okay, back on track. We hiked from the Corral Pass trailhead to Noble Knob, a 4 mile hike each way. Elevation gains are somewhat nominal with a few difficult parts, mostly when you get toward the destination, which makes for some thristy hikers. :p

The views on this hike are spectacular! On the way to the Knob, we were greeted with a wonderful view of Mt Rainier to the west of us as well as the valleys and saddle mountains all around. Noble Knob is a viewpoint area with a commanding view of the saddle mountains to the south and a few lakes, valleys, and mountains to the north, east, and west. Noble Knob provides a picture perfect view of Mt Rainier and the green mountains are breath-taking!

I would rate this hike as a medium difficulty. Then again, we hiked 8 miles the day before in some pretty rugged terrain, so my opinion might be swayed due to the fact that I was already sore, tired, and walking on a twisted ankle. :p

We also tried out some hydration systems (IE: Camelback and Kelty hydration bladders). They work great. Lindsay had a small 2 liter system with a small pack used for bicyclists and she loved it. I used a day pack setup that also contained a 2 liter bladder. One thing I noticed was the water stayed relatively cool even though I was sweating bullets in the hot sun. Another thing I noticed is that I used less water than if I just used my canteens. the reason is because instead of guzzling water from a canteen and stopping (which can ruin your pace and slow your heart rate too much), I would just keep walking and when I needed to, I'd take a sip without stopping my rythmn. I would recommend hydration systems to anyone that is serious about day hiking for long distances.

I have some pictures of this trip. Please note that these first ones are with my brother's digital camera. Lindsay and I went old school with her bad-azz 35mm camera and I posted the pics as soon as we get them developed. Enjoy! :D

Here's a shot of the Corral Pass Trailhead.​

My wife Lindsay (left) and my brother Steven (BlueBeastRC) on the right.​

Lindsay showed me that this is the only way to thaw out a frozen banana. ;D

Here is the sign at the Noble Knob Trailhead.​

It doesn't take long for Mt Rainier to come into perfect view. This was about 1/2 mile into the hike.​

Sheer beauty all the way...and the trail is nice too. ;D

Unfortunately, pictures would not do it justice, but the view from here is amazing!​

On the Trail just beneath Noble Knob, one can take in a great view of Mt Rainier.​

Just up that hill is Noble Knob. Don't let it fool you though. It's steeper than it looks.​

Your reward is a picture perfect view of Mt Rainier from the northeast.​

·
Registered
86 Posts
just went to port angeles last weekend and hiked up to lake angelas, 3.7 miles, not sure of elevation, but i was reeeeel tired. it sure is steep, took about 3 hours to hike up with 100 pound packs, and about 45 minutes down, kinda trail running, enjoying my 80 pound pack on my sunburned and blistered back.
I would like to go on a wheeling trip soon with a few ramchargers that arent scared of a little body damage here and there (obviously and understatement if you have seen my rc) and some rockcrawlin, makin broken jeepers feel stupid when my stock rc with CAD and no clearence ripps up a hillclimb. maybe a trip up the lake issabelle trail at reiter is in order, or just up to my favorite viewpoint. e mail me if you want to go, k?

·
Registered
400 Posts
So far my place of interest is camping by Mt. Saint Helen. This area is all I know, because I grew up in this area. I don't l know much about other places. Sooner or later I would like get fimilar with other forests and mountains.Those pixs above of Mt Rainer are sure beautiful. I might have to set aside some money for future trips...... I'll probably be more motivated to travel when I get my D-50 done.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mt Rainier View Trail 1155

Okay, this one is a little overdue...uh, do to the fact that we didn't get our pictures developed soon enough, but here it is; a report on the Mt Rainier View Trail 1155 up in the Castle Mountains just NE of Mt Rainier!

Started out at Corral Pass (again ::)) and headed south on trail 1155. Beautiful scenery, especially up on the mountain tops; and yes, you can hike over 5 mountains, all above the 6000 ft mark.

The views up here are breathtaking at the very least. Mt Rainier and Mt Adams are in plain view along the trail, as well as Echo Lake, white River, the Norse Peak, etc.

The trail is pretty easy to medium. The main elevation gain is in the first 2 miles with moderate elevation gains afterward. Total distance hike round trip was about 8 miles.

Here are a few snippets of the hike.

Almost at the top of Castle Mountain and this view north unfolds.​

My brother Steven and I rest at a point in the trail.​

Very Cool.​

On top of the world!​

To the southeast, more east. That is Yakima County, just ahead.​

Well, here is the reason for the hike. The view of Mt Rainier is only 1 1/2 miles into the hike. Total time to here was about 35 minutes.​

Lindsay is a great photgrapher. This looks so cool!​

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
well, its about time i see what this thread was about! damn i was missing out! lol. great pics james!! makes me want to get some hiking done down there. the only hiking ive done is up north.. heather lake, twin falls, and that short lil hike to the ice caves :-\ this was all for a class i took

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
well i know of lots places in wa for hiking. lake cooshman, stair case, the leena lakes(literaly a hike up the side of a mountian.) are just a few.

i hate to adveritse for ohter websites but www.4x4trailhunters.com has a few trails to drive in the state. it would be cool if some of you cold give some good paces to us over there to help to some wheeling

·
Registered
74 Posts
hey guys, it seems that i'm the only one over here on the east side of the state. anyways for a fun afternoon of wheeling the 7-mile ORV park at the north end of spokane is always fun. and then as for camping and what not, all i can say is that from the pics you guys have some beautiful area. but i still think that you are all missing out. we have the colville national forest over here that is so massive that i only know a sliver of it. there is callispbell creek which goes on for miles and miles and must have some pretty decent wheeling besides what i enjoy because i know that one of the spokane 4x4 clubs makes group trips up there. there is also the pend'orle chain lakes which sit up in the mts. outside of colville which is four lakes linked together (lakes sherry, gellet, thomas, and haritage) and then there is also a very large ORV park but i haven't had a great deal of time to explore, not to mention the multitude of logging trails that leave for a great ammount of exploring. sorry for being so long winded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The best place Ive been to so far has to be Little Naches. We spent a whole day on the trail. It was intense, very very tight and technical. Very easy to find, just go up fsrd 70 twards Crystal and about 3 or 4 miles up on the left once 70 becomes gravel

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got .45-70? 8)

My favorites sitting next to each other. 8)

It's 2 am. Someone has entered your home. Which do you choose? ;D

Got mags? 8)

And notice... no poodle guns to be seen.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hhhmm... I'd like to pit my .7mm Mag against your .45-70 for kicks, and flameage.

(.7mm mag has a pencil thin Bbl, and a HOLLOW plastic stock... weighs about 7 lbs fully loaded.)

I think it'd be close. First time I shot it I still had a bruise on my shoulder two weeks later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ya ya but can any of those shoot 20oz pop bottles 1/4 mile? the other one we had knocked me on my ass.....

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice spud gun. ;D

what do you consider a poodle gun?
AR-15's. ;D

Hhhmm... I'd like to pit my .7mm Mag against your .45-70 for kicks, and flameage.
It'd probably kick pretty damned hard. The .45-70 kicks just a bit harder than a 12 gauge. Then again, it's also got a rubber end cap on the stock. I bought it because it's a slow moving big-ass bullet, and when it hits, it's a freight train. ;D

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
places of interest... looks like our great state was put into 4wheeler magazine for some of its trails  on the east side in yakima county. naches river area. seems intriguing. might try and run down there this summer to check it out when i have a chance to get off of work. got a new job today, starts tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought I saw something about WA in Fourwheeler.  I'm going to go back and take another look.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts