Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
It's 0.10 on the exhaust and .080 intake for stock specs. Higher rpm engines could use 0.125 exhaust and 0.90 intake... Are you gonna use clay, or dial indicator ?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Not really. Make a pass by TDC on each cylinder, assuming zero cam advance.

To really be sure, take a read at a few degrees before, at TDC, and a few degress after.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok comp cams reccomends at least .080 for intake and .100 for exhaust at all times

here are comp cams directions

1. with degree wheel mounted to engine in correct TDC position, and valves adjusted to 0 lash, turn engine in normal direction until you come to 15 degrees BTDC overlap on your degree wheel, then set the tip of the dial indicator on the exhaust valve spring retainer, in line with the movement of the valve.

preload the dial indicator to about midpoint of travel, and set zero. depress the valve with your finger by pressing the valve end of rocker arm until exhaust valve contacts piston. make a note of the reading on the dial indicator, and record the clearance.
now continue turning engine in its normal direction of travel 2 degrees at a time, checking and recording clearances every 2 degrees until you reach top dead center on your degree wheel.

remember that since the valve will be moving, the dial indicator will not return to zero. you can either subtract the difference or reset the indicator back to zero each time before you make your clearance check.

move the indicator to the intake retainer and start checking the intake to piston clearance the same way you did exhaust, except begin at top dead center and continue to 15 degrees after top dead center.

hope that helped

eric

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, it seems I misread the dial indicator last nite. I though I had .123" on the intake, and .082" in the exhaust.

I also had the dial indicator on the frame, not the engine, and it was giving me an error that way.

I got to thinking (bad idea, I know), those numbers don't make sense, because the intake is a much larger valve.

I rechecked it today, both at TDC, and a few degrees before & after, and I have in excess of .150" at each valve.

Guess I'm good...until I get new pistons & crank that is.......lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.