Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a rough country 4" lift in and got a ton of vibration. I put the 2.5 degree wedges in that came with it and still get some vibration, but not as bad. What should I try next?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
For a 4 inch lift, you shouldn't need any shims.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Check your U-joints. If they are worn, a lift can cause them to make vibrations due to the extra angle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't have any noticable vibration before. I'll check the u-joints, what should I look for to indicate that they are bad?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
make sure the caps are crushed, loose or damage in any way. Grab the drive shafts and watch the u-joints and turn the shaft if you see any play then change them. Not real expensive

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm gonna disagree with the rest of these guys. I put the 4 inch lift in my 89 RC and had to put a 6 degree shim in the front in order for the front driveshaft not to bind, and put a 4 degree shim in the rear, and even with that I knock out my u-joint on the transfer case in a little over 2000 miles. All u-joints are brand new, the springs are correct and were installed correctly. I have no idea why some ramchargers are different than others, but there seems to be some variance in the way the lift affects driveline angle on different vehicles.

Just my 2 cents

Roy

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
For that all you would need to do is just do a little grinding on the cv's in the front. For the rear, I would have to say that you had axle wrap problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just did the 4" rough contry on the '89 RamCharger, and had to grind the front-end u-joint / driveshaft yokes. I put the shim in the front, and none in the rear. Runs nice, but i do seem to have a bit of a vibration above 55... When i put the shim in the front, i went for more caster. I wonder if that was wrong?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
The thing with the shims in front is that it messes up your steering geomety. A couple of degrees in the shims doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference, but it does. See when your axle is unshimmed the steering can go a true side to side like it is supposed to and it pivots on the bottom of the tire. But when its shimmed, the pinion is rotated up along with the rest of the axle. So when you turn your wheels they aren't pivoting on the bottom of the tire, its actually up higher on the tire, causeing more wear. A couple of degrees in the shims isn't going to make a whole lot of difference, but when you start getting anything above 2-3 degrees, thats when you start running into those problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the front. I was going to get some for the front. I checked it at about 10mph and the 4x4 seemed to work fine. I don't really go off road and the 4x4 is only used ocassionally so I'll probably leave the front as is. I found a set of 6 degree wedges for $16. I'll probably start with the Ujoints and see what that does as I am sure they could use replacing.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
One thing I forgot about that hasn't been mentioned yet is try rotaing your driveshafts 180 degrees. Unbolt and rotate them. They come from the factory a certain way because of the vibs, so when you reinstall them usually they don't get back in in the correct orientation. I had that prob with mine on the front. It vibrated so bad that it broke the caps off of the u joint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.