Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am wanting to swap a 360 magnum engine into my 91 W350 with a TBI LA360.  I have the NP435 transmission.  I am converitng to carb so i have no need for a crank sensor and Im planning to use the magnum flywheel.  My question is about the pilot bushing....my 360 uses a bushing and I believe the magnum uses a bearing.  Will the bearing fit my input shaft?  Will the bushing fit the magnum crank?  My plan is to use the flywheel from a magnum, clutch and pressure plate from an LA?  sound right?  Are all magnum cranks drilled for a pilot bearing/bushing?  Is the input shaft on the 435 too long?

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Use the Magnum bearing.  It's a common upgrade since it will fit all the older engines as well and works with engines that were never finish machined for the pilot bushing.  Assemble everything out of the truck though, you never know when you don't have enough clearance for the tip of the input shaft unless you test it out.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Use the magnum flywheel for a 5.9

My 2001 5.9 was not even rough drilled and I needed to cut off 15/16 off the 435 input shaft.
My 1999 5.9 was rough drilled

As Elwenil said, use the magnum style bearing pilot

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!  So basically Im bolting the engine to trans and trimming until the bellhousing bolts up?  Thats the only way I can think to know how much to trim, keep putting the two together until the bellhousing mates up?  am I thinking correctly?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jerseybud said:
Use the magnum flywheel for a 5.9

My 2001 5.9 was not even rough drilled and I needed to cut off 15/16 off the 435 input shaft.
My 1999 5.9 was rough drilled

As Elwenil said, use the magnum style bearing pilot
So if it was drilled you wouldnt have needed to cut the input shaft? Or did you have to drill it for the bearing completely?

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The bearing fits in the recess where the torque converter snub fits.  Every crankshaft has one, so it's a done deal.  However, the cranks get drilled in odd ways and not all are drilled to size for a pilot bushing and some are not even drilled deep enough for clearance for the tip of the manual transmission input shaft.  Since the Magnum pilot bearing rides on a spot on the input shaft closer to the splines, the very end where it would normally ride in the LA series pilot bushing, is not used and can be cut if necessary.  Again, I would test fit everything to see how it works out and see if you need to cut or drill the crank.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elwenil said:
The bearing fits in the recess where the torque converter snub fits. Every crankshaft has one, so it's a done deal. However, the cranks get drilled in odd ways and not all are drilled to size for a pilot bushing and some are not even drilled deep enough for clearance for the tip of the manual transmission input shaft. Since the Magnum pilot bearing rides on a spot on the input shaft closer to the splines, the very end where it would normally ride in the LA series pilot bushing, is not used and can be cut if necessary. Again, I would test fit everything to see how it works out and see if you need to cut or drill the crank.
Gotcha, thank you for the explination, that cleared it up for me. so if the trans bolts down tight then I assume this means it cleared? Any other things to watch for since i wont actually be able to see in the bellhousing once its on? Thank you so much for all the help.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
2 things to look for-
1. mock up trans in bell before bolting things together and be sure they "click" together and dont need the bolts to pull them together
2. be sure you can turn the output shaft by hand  when its together with bolts only hand tight.  if input is tight to crankshaft, it wont turn and should not be forced- need to cut more

Easy way to see if its drilled is compare your current engine crank pilot hole depth to the new engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.