Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone swapped an 833 for a keisler 5-spd in their truck?
Would like to do this in mine, but don't know how it would fit as far as shifter location.

This is because I want to get the trans they sell for the early '70's B-body cars (I'm doing a Satellite Sebring Plus), and I want to use it in my truck......for now.....so any suggestions?? Tips??

Thanks, TC

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
they did use the A-883 in trucks but most were in 2wds with the OD and l,ve only had and seen a few 4x4s with it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 833 now and want to swap it out in favor of the keisler unit. My 833 is howling terrible in fourth. It needs a rebuild bad. I have nothing to go in it's place right now. Since I am going to get the keisler for the Satellite anyhow, I figured I'd run it in the truck 'til the Sat. is ready. But I need to know how far off the shifter location would be in the truck, since it NEEDS to be set up for the Satellite ultimately. TC

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
keisler/ l,ve been biulding mopars since 1976 and have NEVER heard of it / its gotta be something new

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
keisler/ l,ve been biulding mopars since 1976 and have NEVER heard of it / its gotta be something new
WOW!.. That's hard to believe. The Keisler 5-spd is based on the Tremec transmissions, modified by Shafi Keisler to be a direct bolt in (no hackwork) into many of the classic musclecars we all love. (Yeah even GM and Jaguar) It's a really slick setup. Check it out at their website. www.keislerauto.com . The only problem is that they don't have kits for trucks like mine.
That's why I'm wondering how it would fit in one and if anyone has done it yet. ;D

·
2,317 Posts
the trans in my 78 club cab is from a car. keisler has a new bracket to move the mount. you could moldify the truck mounting point. i thought about the same swap when i stroke the bb for my club cab.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OIC, ok. I shot keisler another e-mail last night on the subject, but all I keep getting is their auto-response e-mail telling me "Thanks for the interest" and "Give us a call for more info". Wonder why they have e-mail in the first place.

·
2,317 Posts
the shifter is in the stock location.for a,b,e body, the trans mount is moved back alittle.the new cross member with there kit is a bolt in. the 2wd truck and car have the same trans mount. so if you modify the truck cross member ( move it back) either redrill or weld it it should work fine. you will need a shorter drive shaft.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BIGDOG,

What do you mean by, "the shifter is in the stock location for a,b,e body? I thought they all had different shifter locations because of the different size platforms they were based on. That's why the 833's had two different shifter mount pads on the tailshafts. Or did I mis-understand something. Keep in mind I need the b-body kit for later on.
I've got an a-body 833 and my truck 833 and the shifter locations are way off from each other.(short/long tailshaft too).

The trasmission tailshaft mount should not be a problem for me. Either with their kit or not , but I'm happy to hear it's there!!! ( thank you)

Depending on what Keisler tells me today when I call 'em, (as faar as $$$ is concerned), I may just wind up swapping in the 360/727 I have and leaving the front driveshaft unhooked untill the conversion to 4WD is done. It'll still be a three speed, but maybe the gear vendors unit will fit in place of the transfer case. I just prefer the stick shift to the auto.

·
2,317 Posts
yes, the shifter is in the stock location depending on the application. so you need to measure you current trans location from the bell, then find the one that will match. i saw them in columbus nats. have some bad a$$ stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you like to shift yourself it's the best thing I've seen yet. I'm not sure I'm liking the customer svc there. Hoping I'ts just 'cuz they're so backed up, and It gets better. Really like it, but I HATE sh#^%ty customer svc.

Thanks for all the info.TC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.