Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 Ramcharger 2WD 5.2 liter, what performance parts are available out there ? The only ones that I can find are headers from Hooker and some camshaft kits from Crane. It must work with the emissions crap as I will need to run this through air care emissions testing. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
Manifolds, ignitions, new diff gears, the list goes on my friend. What are you trying to accomplish? More horses? More torque? You have to be more specific on your questions...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The biggest problem is that this is a TBI motor. I have not seen any aftermarket company manufacture a manifold for the mid to late 80's TBI engines. Unless I change to a Magnum system which means changing the computer, heads and wiring.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
Man, don't take this the wrong way but don't you think in your orginal post you should have said it was a TBI? That's what I mean by being specific. It's hard to know things that you don't tell us about.

What are your goals by doing this mods?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
the tbi setup and emission laws really limit what u can do. but money talks. the stock tbi computer isnt too keen on big cam upgrades and whatnot. the best thing u can do for cheap is get headers and exhaust, a k&n filter, do a good tune up, and run sythetic oils in everything. if u wanna spend the money though, jet chips can burn u a custom board that can handle large cams and whatnot, or u can go to an aftermarket efi system that can be custom fitted to ur application (big $$$$)

Duane

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Mudshark said:
Man, don't take this the wrong way but don't you think in your orginal post you should have said it was a TBI? That's what I mean by being specific. It's hard to know things that you don't tell us about.

What are your goals by doing this mods?
he said it was a 88 with a 5.2, and most people know that is a TBI motor.

Duane

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
CLRracer said:
he said it was a 88 with a 5.2, and most people know that is a TBI motor.
Duane
You can't assume anything when saying a part is gonna work. I would feel real bad if I told someone that product X was the greatest thing in the world and he bought it to find out it won't work on his vehicle.

What if the truck body was an 88 and the previous owner (if there is one) put a different motor in it?

See where I am coming from? I don't mean to sound like a prick but give out all the information that you can when asking for help.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i always assume stock unless otherwise stated. if its not stock and they leave out what it is, thats a different story. so to me, he gave enough info on the truck, just not what he want to do with it. although being a 2x i would assume he wants to make it go really fast.

Duane

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
I'm sorry if I cam across real harsh.

headers and exhaust, a k&n filter, do a good tune up, and run sythetic oils in everything
All of these are good options.

Is all you want to do is and performance to the enigne? or the whole truck?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't worry about it. I just want to make it perform a little more better. Just make a little more horsepower but still be streetable.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
Oh, denros, 800 horsepower is streetable. You might get a few too many tickets but it is streetable.

Go with a good flowing exhaust system. for starters. Change to a good synthetic oil and new filters all the way around.
Other cheap options are indexing your spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
denros said:
It is all stock and original, 318, 5.2 Liter, TBI. Ahything else ?
what trans.

Headers. weld a tap for the air tube in the back.

TBI spacer.

Port polish HEads

Erson Cams does custom ginds

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
trans could be 904 998 or 999 or 500 also. cant automatically assume he has a 4x4. (specially since he specified 2wd)

as far as tranny, a shift kit wouold improve the "percieved performance" you would feel a difference even though engine puts out no more power.

you can use a edelbrock intake or any 4bbl intake for that matter. it requires an adapter. i do not think they are commonly available yet. local machine/fabrication shop will do it for very little money. (the one pictured is for chebby style........could possibly be adapted with a bit of machining)
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HLY%2D17%2D41

i ve been doing research on TBI for a long time. i have not proven it yet, but im lead to believe the aftermarket holley projection computer will work. holley is the manufacturer for OEM thorttle bodies. and the dodge oem is very similar to the chevy based aftermarket unit except for bolt pattern of the throttle base.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HLY%2D534%2D55&view=257#largerimage

$300. adjustable for performance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I weld a tap for the air pump where should I put it ? The factory manifold has one port on the rear of each manifold. If I go with headers then I would have to put the new port probably on the collectors ? Also I have to find a spot for the O2 sensor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts