Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a reman distributor and I'm curious as to how I could tweak it to make it more like the Mopar Performance model. Now I know the next question "Why didnt you buy the MP to begin with". Well, ca$h flow. Anyway, can I do this with minimal expense and easily, or is it gonna be a pain in the ass that'll cost me another $50?

·
2,317 Posts
you can install mp advance springs. they are lighter.i think they are 8.00 the last time i bought them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Are you still running vacuum advance? If so, you should set your total timing (36-39 degrees @ 2500rpm) before you waste time on a good part. You need an advance type timing light. Mopar Muscle put this info out not too long ago. You can adjust the curve by running the 3/32" allen screw in or out of the vacuum pod. My HP 440 likes the stock distributor in my 77' RC. So far, I don't think we need anything special for our heavy metal. I'll have to let you know about that - since I just got it back together and really haven't tried to launch it yet.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't use a timing light. I set it by ear. I get it where it starts right, then adjust it where it won't ping under load. Yes, i'm using the vaccuum advance.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
You really should purchase a timing light. They can do alot more then just setting your timing at Idle. The mods you can make is either take the heavy spring out of the distributor and one the lighter spring only or get the MP springs. The MP springs are pretty light though and may ping, I would try just removing the heavy spring first. If it pings then add one MP spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.