Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y'all use for removing rust/cleaning parts? I have this oil pan with alot of surface rust on the inside, and some rust in the dipstick guide I can't get to. What chemicals or solvents could I use to get that stuff off/out? Any ideas?

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
in that instance, I'd just buy a new one.

But, you can find a good bottle or bore brush that should clean most of it out.

I always use parts cleaner, followed by brake parts cleaner for cleaning things. But they don't help much with rust.

·
Registered
65 Posts
:) Harbor Freight Tools used to sell a parts cleaner that worked pretty good. They would put it on sale when they put one of their parts washers on sale. I bought one of their small parts washers and thought I try out the cleaner. Worked very well and actually had a pleasant odor.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
RamChargin'78 said:
What do y'all use for removing rust/cleaning parts? I have this oil pan with alot of surface rust on the inside, and some rust in the dipstick guide I can't get to. What chemicals or solvents could I use to get that stuff off/out? Any ideas?

Bob
If you can get a big enough plastic tub you can try electrolysis see link:

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/hotube/electro.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Naval jelly has long been an old reliable in removing rust. Put on some navel jelly and let it set for a few minutes, longer if needed. Use the steel wool with the navel jelly for a more stubborn rust.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I use some stuff form any body shop supply place called Rust-Mort. Good stuff. I know alot of folks here like that por-15 but I've never tried it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would have to go with Naval Jelly for the surface rust on the oil pan.
But you have to be careful with the stuff. It is Naval Jelly, not navel jelly. DO NOT apply it to anyone's navel. :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Must For Rust. GOOD STUFF! Get it at Home Depot in the paint department.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Which ever the method used, I would not advise using a sand blaster to do the inside of an oil pan. Unless the baffles and other tin inside have been removed that could trap even the smallest amount of sand. Even then I doubt that I would sand blast. I have heard of folks dumping serious money into rebuilds and blasting some thing of the engine and having it distroyed just as its being broke in.

Those have been tough and expensive lessons, even tougher for the folks to get back onto the web-sites and tell the story of their woe.

I have to give them credit for trying to keep others from making the same mistake that they have.

Just say no to sand blasting engine tin period.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If it's not an internal piece, why don't you just sandblast it and be doen with it. Blast, Primer, Paint, done.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
some idjut at a rebuilding shop blaste the intake of a 4.3 vortec,what a mess-plugged injectors-you name it what was that guy thinkin? keep sand away from disassembeled engine.no if ands or buts.go to body shop supply house and get yourself some metal prep.let it soak and rinse it off...may have to apply more than once.dont forget to oil it up or it will start to rust immediately after you clean it.also it may look like rust,but try carb cleaner for the fun of it,it might be sludge in a rust color.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
learned about this one from a gas tank sealing kit that i used a few years back moratic acid will eat rust almost instantly without hurting steel one bit just be sure to not let it touch any aluminum or it will disolve it almost just as quickly. Also you will need to rince it off with lots of water to neutralize it and then IMMEDIATLY oil the metal or paint it because it will rust up in mere seconds!! Check in the masonary section of you rlocal home depot for it its used to slean mortor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.