Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1968 Dodge Dart GT fuel gauge died. I checked the hot wire back to the tank and its good. Actually the guage will respond but never moves more than a fraction of an inch.

My mechanic said he will explore the fuel tank to see if the gauge assembly can be repaired. The other part is damaged and needs replacement.

Of course the fuel tank is full and I need to run it out until my mechanic will look at it. But for now the goal is finding parts.

The code numbers are 14-72-1 and 14-72-5. I crossed referenced from the parts catalog and got the following numbers. I couldn't find the part number for the clip, of course. I need the clip, its damaged. The fuel tank assembly, I found six different parts numbers for. I figure one for each model of 1968 Dodges. Here they are 2258 862, 2421 493, 2584 946, 2809 031, 3004 180, 3004 181.

I called the local Mopar dealer, they said the parts are discontinued. Auto Zone said no way. I have an email into a site call Old Time Parts.

Any help is appreciated (Oh, Chump help).

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
l wish l had known / they just crushed my 69 Valiant that had a new tank and sender in it / l kept all the other parts but the tank

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Check the ground strap to the gas tank, and the sending unit. Bad grounds will throw off the resistance being read by the gauge from the sending unit.

-SM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is Moparts a web site? Give me some more info, please.

You crushed a '69 Valiant! :( Do you remember where you got the tank and sending unit?

The grounding strap is new. Was just put on with a new tank. The clip I mentioned supports the ground around a rubber piece of fuel line. That's why I really want to get a new clip. The gauge will respond-its not totally dead, it just will not give me an actual fuel level.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
try year one or the paddock. i know both places carry the tanks and senders and possibly the clip you need.. i kow they carry alot for the 68 dart because i ahve one myself... i also have a 73 parts car that i am currantly parting out and I MAY have a fuel guage that works.... i have a spare cluster for my 68 and 71 darts.... i'll check on it and see if it works... let me know by IM or Email if you need anything else....

www.yearone.com
www.paddockparts.com

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
yup crushed it / it was a 69 340 Valiant with four piston Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes with sway bar and manual steering / 8 3/4 with 3.55 sure grip / swamped at a hundred two years ago / almost died / it was a two door post coup / there are pictures of it on here somewere / l miss it but l,m glad its gone

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
do you realize how hard it is to find an A-Body 8 3\4 houseing???? i have had a HELL of a time finding one for my darts and you crushed one???!!!!!! are you NUTS???!!!! the rear alone is impossible to find as are the 4piston cals and the front swaybar... i have also been searching for a 340 for YEARS and thats gone to??? .................... :mad:{angry]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My '68 Dart is just a fun car. I just try to keep it running. I replace parts as I see fit and as I see a good deal.

Year One is ridiculous with the prices. Am looking for a plastic strip that fits under the windshield. (My car is a convertible.) Can't be worth more than $20.00. They have it in the catalog for $120.00. They probably want $50.00 for this $3.00 clip.

I'll check out paddock parts.

But check with me before you get rid of any '68 parts.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
which peice are you loking for??? the chrome peice under the front windsheild???? i might have it..... i am currantly parting out a 73 dart that might have it OR i might have it in a bunch of chrome i got from a 69 dart GT /6 car that i stripped a few years ago... let me know and i'llsee if i have it

·
7,995 Posts
2258862 appears to be a clip? For what?
2421493 appears to be the sender unit in the tank?

I'm without any reference books so I'm going with some of the online descriptions.:)
I believe that the Dart is considered a V or L body style/series?

Take the power line to the sender unit and momentarily ground it to the frame...if the gauge moves to full than your problem is at the tank...if the gauge does not move than your problem is in the wiring, gauge or instrument cluster, maybe your firewall electrical connectors.

I have found both of the above parts online, you just need to verify what you need. Also the gauge and the sender unit can be rebuilt by an instrument repair shop, there are some listed in the links section here at the site. Let me know what you want to do. ;D

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well the V & L lines you are talking about are the dart (L) and the valiant (V) body style yould be the # code like LH23 (dart, high price class, style 23 two door sedan) both are about 90% interchangeable with the exeption of a few parts from 67-76. the dash for the darts ended in 72 and after that went to the valiant style dash. i know because i have both types... doors, fenders, trunk lids, and interior components are all interchangeable. as for the electrical components like the tank sender i think are interchangeble between the years also but i would have to confirm that. i also have the white book for decoading the vin, fender tag, and broadcast sheet if you want... all i need is either a photo or scanned image edited with the last 6 of the vin blacked out.... from there i can decode and return toyou the options for the vehical... i only have 2 of the books though right now... 66-68 and 72-74 cars only.... i will be getting the truck one as soon as possible... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
BOGGER35 said:
l wish l had known / they just crushed my 69 Valiant that had a new tank and sender in it / l kept all the other parts but the tank
as you can see from my first reply l kept the whole drive train / the new tank was in it when l got it / so who wants to buy a K-frame with Kelsey-Hayes four piston calipers with sway bar and manual steering

motor-tranny and rear are NOT for sale

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chump said:
2258862 appears to be a clip? For what?
2421493 appears to be the sender unit in the tank?

I'm without any reference books so I'm going with some of the online descriptions.:)
I believe that the Dart is considered a V or L body style/series?

Take the power line to the sender unit and momentarily ground it to the frame...if the gauge moves to full than your problem is at the tank...if the gauge does not move than your problem is in the wiring, gauge or instrument cluster, maybe your firewall electrical connectors.

I have found both of the above parts online, you just need to verify what you need. Also the gauge and the sender unit can be rebuilt by an instrument repair shop, there are some listed in the links section here at the site. Let me know what you want to do. ;D
Chump, you continue to surprise me! You are indispensable.

My car is a LP27 series. I really need the clip. It fits on the fuel line around a rubber hose connecting the tank to the line going forward. Who do I call to order one?

I checked the hot wire and ground. The gauge does respond, it just will not give me an actual fuel level in the tank. My mechanic feels the float fell off the arm of the gauge assembly. He is going to explore the tank as soon as I get it emptied. Of course I have it full. Then the decision will be made on whether a new assembly is needed. I wanted to get a source and price before the exploration.

moparPW200guy, the strip I was writing about is plastic. And that's the problem. It shrinks over time. Its clear plastic underneath I think and has either chrome tape or a chrome coating. The second one I have on my car is now shrinking again and I'm looking for one before the sides open up to let water into the car.

Over the years, I have figured out the VIN and tag on the fender.

I could replace some dented and scraped chrome. I will look again but I could use a left front headlight bezel and right rear quarter panel chrome strip. Not looking to spend alot but if someone is getting rid of it or can give me a good deal, I'm open for negotiations.

wyattells, sorry not looking for any more vehicles. I don't have enough garage space for what I have.

DODGEBOYS, sorry no room for stacking parts either. But I will keep my ears open for anyone looking for those parts.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well i will check and see what i have.... i think all mine are metal but will check.... i might have that strip unless its different on the converts from the hardtop... as for the trim i might also have that. i'll see what i ahve...

·
7,995 Posts
Try calling this place for the clip. Ask them to describe it to you to make sure it's the correct part. Or try www.tempedodge.com :)

HERBEE MOTORS INC
130 SUNRISE HWY
WEST ISLIP NY
National Phone: None
Business Phone: 631-661-4848

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.