Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone out there has done a rear brake conversion that retained parking brake? I need to restore a parking brake feature for state inspection here in TX :\'(

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Swap the calipers for '78-85 El Dorado rears. They have the integral parking brake.They will hook up to your brake cables with little modification (cut off the cable springs - the calipers have their own springs; and you will have to use some spacers to take up extra slack in the cables)

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Im using the Jamar Park-Lok but it will only lock 1 line from the master about 30.00 I had wanted to use a Hydo-loc like found in heavy trucks that will lock both lines from the master but there around 400.00 :(

Jamar
Buy Here

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Taz- any pictures of that setup to go off of? Bogie, I really need a true mechanical parking brake to be legal...a hydro-loc won't do.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
All you do is use your factpry parking brake cables, but cut the spring off the end opposite the operating lever. Then thread it into the caliper brackets for the ebrake.

You must have calipers that have the ebrake levers on them.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, ya might want to read the product reviews too...as there are some thign I came across that aren't in the how to, OR the directions in the kit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link to the how-to! That's really helpful. I'll have to go out and get some 78 eldorado calipers.

G

·
The L brakcet worked ok for a while but it looks like it is bending. I am going to solve that problem by welding a tab to the axle tube were the cable goes through the bracket. I think It will be able to pull harder on the calipers and look alot neater.

G

·
Once I had the cables installed on the L brackets I noticed I had alot of slack in cables. They would not adjust using the main cable adjuster. So what I did was cut the end of the rod off where the two cables meet. I used a 5/16" die and threaded the end of the rod and used a bolt to adjust out the remaing slack in the cable. then I used the stock cable ajuster to fine tune it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it just me or does the caliper in the 'how to' look different from the one that you have gmule? Seems like the actuator for the parking brake is different....Is this dependant on year of caliper? Any gotchas with some years?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
well, gmule's calipers hang down so they could get hit on somthing...mine are up, not down. It also looks like he could move the lever to the top, so it's out of harms way.

G

·
I have 10" wide wheels with a 4" backspacing the caliper is well inside the wheel. If I hit the caliper I have other problems then that

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I was talking mainly about the ebrake lever hanging down, instead of going up. The caliper shouldn't be an issure, but that lever would concern me. I too have 10" rims with 4" backspacing, but my calipers are still not fully enclosed, and my ebrake lever is on top, so I don't have to worry about it.

Not fussing or bithcing at ya gmule, just I haven't seen the ebrake lever in that position.

G

·
TheRamChargerMan said:
I was talking mainly about the ebrake lever hanging down, instead of going up. The caliper shouldn't be an issure, but that lever would concern me. I too have 10" rims with 4" backspacing, but my calipers are still not fully enclosed, and my ebrake lever is on top, so I don't have to worry about it.

Not fussing or bithcing at ya gmule, just I haven't seen the ebrake lever in that position.
I wonder if I change them around and put the left on on the right and so on I could put my e brake cable on top of the axle tube that would be nice

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
what gets me, is the direction your ebrake lever moves when you pull the cable should give you LESS brake.

Mine are on top, they are eldorado calipers. When I pull the ebrake lever, it rotates the piston shaft cloc on the drivers side, and counter clockwise on the passengers side. Yours would do just the opposite. You don't have the claipers mounted upaside down do you ?? (vent goes up ?)

You may be able to put the lever on top anyways..it looks like You can from the pic. Does your ebrake work the way it is ??? Maybe it's just you have vastly different calipers ??

G

·
My e brake works very well they hold my RC under power. The calipers are marked R and L for respective sides. The levers are marked that way too. The calipers are for a 1978 Eldorado.

Have any pics of yours? I would like to see the diferences that way if people have questions we know what we are talking about

G

·
I looked at the how to. I know what looks different.
The calipers in the how too are from 79-newer rear disc brakes

I had that caliper first. The 9 1/4 rear uses a thiner rotor. I did the conversion on the dana 60 axle It uses a front gm truck rotor that is thicker than the rotor used for the 9 1/4 axle.
I had to exchange my calipers.
The calipers I am using were made for 3 years only 76, 77 and 78. in 79 the eldo's were down sized.

Notice the different return spring

1 - 20 of 37 Posts