Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I hope you are all having an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend!  8)

As per family tradition, we went to all of the family grave sites yesterday to clean the stones, place new flowers, etc, etc.  The kids really enjoy learning about their ancestry and helping out their grandparents too.

Any-who, onto my question...

My great-aunt had a 24" concrete statue of the Blessed Virgin (I have a big Catholic family) placed on my great-grandmother's grave years ago.  She has since passed as well, so it means even more to my grandmother now.  The paint is starting to crack & lift off the front of the statue, so it needs cleaned up & repainted.  I lifted a few pieces off and the concrete looks good.  It really just looks like the paint wasn't bonded very well, the rain got underneath it, and worked it loose.  It's all white, so color isn't a huge issue.

My uncle suggested replacing it, which upset my grandmother a bit, so I told her I would look into cleaning & repainting it for her.  Any advice on the best way to clean, seal & repaint the statue would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Thanks!
Missy

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Remove the old paint by using a chemical stripper and a light sanding, Missy.  Clean the concrete with a trisodium phosphate solution.  Allow to dry completely.  Apply a sealer (Drylok), prime, then finish with an acrylic topcoat.  ;D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pete...I figured if anybody knew how to paint something like that, it would be you!  ;)

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gmule said:
I wonder if the paint would just blow off with a pressure washer?
It definitely would, but there's no way to get the statue out of the graveyard, so I'm stuck doing the job manually. :p

The only part that might need stripped is the back. I'm betting that fine steel wool will knock the rest right off...just touch the paint and it flakes to bare concrete. I'm just glad that the statue is sitting between & slightly to the rear of the two headstones...I can cover things up an keep them protected a lot more easily.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
atowinram said:
Thanks Pete...I figured if anybody knew how to paint something like that, it would be you! ;)
LOL Missy!!! Yeah, I'm sure you don't have to get that fancy but that's the way it's supposed to be done. ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
home depot has concrete stripper and sealer
strip it down but do a test area first to make sure its not going to damage or discolor the statue
then put what ever color your going to put on it then seal it with concrete waterproof sealer

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could leave it natural, but Blessed Virgin statues are almost never done that way.  This one has always been white, so that is probably how it will be redone.  Personally, I would like to repaint it in the even more traditional "light blue outer robe w/ white face, hands, and inner robe" color scheme, but I haven't had the chance to talk it over with my Gram.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
atowinram said:
I could leave it natural, but Blessed Virgin statues are almost never done that way. This one has always been white, so that is probably how it will be redone. Personally, I would like to repaint it in the even more traditional "light blue outer robe w/ white face, hands, and inner robe" color scheme, but I haven't had the chance to talk it over with my Gram.
http://store.galbraithsinc.com/index.php?cPath=33_35_65 ;)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
i have heard of using white glue as a base for painting concrete,diluted with a bit of water.
from the sound of it,that paint will peel off pretty easily,then the cleaning and base coat and paint over top,a sealant on the paint after the top coat.
I bet your grandmother will go for the traditional color change,because you are taking it upon yourself to do it.
it is labour intensive,a little more difficult as it has to be done on site.
you will git it done,if anything you are determined,i can tell from all of your posts over the years.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
atowinram said:
I could leave it natural, but Blessed Virgin statues are almost never done that way. This one has always been white, so that is probably how it will be redone. Personally, I would like to repaint it in the even more traditional "light blue outer robe w/ white face, hands, and inner robe" color scheme, but I haven't had the chance to talk it over with my Gram.
This site has a bunch of statues of the BVM, might give you an idea about what you want to do, and you could show Gram what the options are instead of just talking about it.

Eh?

http://www.thestatuestore.com/bvm.html

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PowerWagonPete said:
Unclebull said:
This site has a bunch of statues of the BVM, might give you an idea about what you want to do, and you could show Gram what the options are instead of just talking about it.

Eh?

http://www.thestatuestore.com/bvm.html
Thanks for the links guys...both sites have some great pictures. I'll have to pick out a few ideas to go over. I told my Gram last weekend that I was going to fix it up for her at the end of the month. She was very happy to hear that! :)

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
It is good to have a Happy Gram!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts