Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should it cost to have my 88 rc painted with a high quality paint?

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
most body shops will do free estimates.
If I remember right, it was going to be around $2200 for a two-tone on a different pickup I used to have.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You can get it shot off with a high quality paint for $500 if you look around. But the $ is in the prep, not the paint. $500 would get you masked and shot and that's it. Good paint, but not a good paint job.

When you shop, don't ask as much about the paint as you do the work involved.

$500= shiney river truck
$1000= nice shiney river truck
$1500= nice ride
$2000= nice ride- 2 tone
$2500= nice ride- 2 tone- engine compartment- quality colorsand- lots of clear
$3000= why?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i was quoted roughtly $2500 for my truck JUST paint.... no body work just prep and paint. and everything else associated with that...

·
Registered
423 Posts
moparPW200guy said:
i was quoted roughtly $2500 for my truck JUST paint.... no body work just prep and paint. and everything else associated with that...
Yea, that can be right without body work (as I was saying). But remamber, prep can mean many things. From rubbing a bit with sandpaper, masking and shooting (and that's ALL);

to taking the whole truck apart, masking what's left, sanding, chemical wash, priming, fill/block sanding, base coat, 6 coats of clear, baking, complete badass color sanding (this is where tophies are made), swirl mark removal/waxing, and reassemble.

Saying "I got a quote for $2500 to paint my truck" is like saying "I got a quote for $2500 for a motor." (no offense) Well, what kind of motor? And what did you do to it?

I payed $400 for a paint job on my work truck. It's very glossy and purty as all get out (for a work truck) and has a 6 year warrantee against cracking, peeling and fading. The main difference between that and my other trucks is it's a bit orange peely. Something no one will ever notice but me.

Personally, if you take it off road and you have a wife (in other words, you're not pickin up chicks) I'd never pay more than $1000... ever. btw if you haven't picked up on it already, I'm a painter.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I want an exterior coating on my TD like Line-X or Rhino lining. There are a few rigs around here with it and it looks great. No rust, no fancy body work, durable, cheaper, and shines up nicely with a little Armor All. Kinda limited in color choice though.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
ive heard you can usually get some knocked off the price if you do the masking and other prep stuff yourself.is that true?

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
local community college may be a good place to ask too

·
Registered
423 Posts
shedevil said:
ive heard you can usually get some knocked off the price if you do the masking and other prep stuff yourself.is that true?
Absolutely! Some guys would rather not trust that you know what you're doing and may not offer, but some will if you scuff it, take off the trim pieces (if he is contracted to) and maybe even run the tape fro the masking before you drive over so his masking job will be easier. Masking is tougher than it looks and they don't want to be responsible for the air in the gun blowing off your mask job or blowing it into the paint, but if he's a buddy, maybe he'll walk you through it.

When I got my van shot off I gave the painter (not the dude at the desk) a 20 and said if I'm impressed when I get it back I'll give him another. I was impressed and I got it back 2-3 days sooner than the dude at the desk said I would. $40 ain't a lot of bread, but good ol American appreciative tipping goes a looooong way. Remember that for more than just your waitress, guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts