Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Should A Paint And Body Forum Be Added To RCC?

Paint/Body Forum

3K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Rabbit929 
#1 ·
So the suggestion was put forth to add a Paint and Body forum to RCC.  What say you?  Would you use it?  Could you contribute to it?

I resisted the urge to add "Bacon" or "Avocado!" to the poll.  Pirate users will get that.  ;D

#3 ·
#4 ·
I wouldn't use it and wouldn't contribute....I hate body work.  ;D

I don't see a lot of body work discussion on the other boards, not sure it warrants its own board....but I'm all for getting rid of the Tin Foil board, I could get some free time back.  ;D

#5 ·
Ill start by saying that I have extremely limited body work experience.

That being said, if its not hard to add, I do see a good bit of body work post in some build threads. Maybe if there was a dedicated forum for it with someones how tos, or someones journey doing bodywork on a truck, it may help someone out in the future.

The thing is with this site, atleast in my opinion, is it is about the best (almost only) source of info for these trucks aside from the FSM. Alot of peoples knowledge will live on for a long time on this site. And there is a vast wealth of knowledge on this site, don’t underestimate that. If a body work forum makes it easier for someone to find out the best way to go about fixing the common cracked front fender or other rust repair, etc., then I think it should be added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
By contributing, I mainly meant just helping answer questions.  You can still post the updates to your builds in your thread, but if you have knowledge that might help someone out, what primer to use, best way to weld panels, paint gun recommendations, etc, post up.  I am just trying to gauge if the forum would be useful.  I know in the past we have had several members who were doing their own paint and bodywork but these days there are only a couple active members who tinker in that field.  If we add the forum, I would like to see it used and if it's only going to get one thread a year, we may as well not bother with it and keep everything in the normal help forums.

#9 ·
The Axle Tech and Discussion forum isn't very old and has seemed to have done well. Maybe not daily posts but every few days or weeks it draws a good thread.

I think a paint/body forum would be fine. These trucks are known rusters.

Maybe even include interior & upholstery, glass.  It's all somewhat related.

Bucky

#11 ·
...I've got some decent bodywork experience under my belt - I'll contribute and help answer q's {cool}

#12 ·
712edf said:
The Axle Tech and Discussion forum isn't very old and has seemed to have done well. Maybe not daily posts but every few days or weeks it draws a good thread.

I think a paint/body forum would be fine. These trucks are known rusters.

Maybe even include interior & upholstery, glass. It's all somewhat related.

Bucky
agreed , contribute my experience is outdated in a pro shop today , DYIer's can still use it and the basics haven't changed ( a siphon gun still works LOL )

#14 ·
KG5JXO said:
I like this idea as well though if that happened should it still be called paint and body?
I'm not sure what would be the best actual name. I figure paint & body would obviously entail paint/body work, but it also involves trim, trim clips, alterations/add-ons such as bumpers, fender flares, possibly glass removal, fender/panel alignment/adjustment, etc.

Basically anything cosmetic could fall into this forum.

Bucky

#15 ·
I would vote yes and i can contribute, but for some reason, the vote thingy said I couldn't vote and I'd need to log out and then back in…no thanks!

…But yes, I don't know why it wasn't done long ago already

Ed

#19 ·
LOL yeah huh ? have you seen some of the 440 powered older trucks on  here ? one look at the engine alone and ya know its not getting bodyworked on the trail ...............  ;D ;D ;D ;D    I said    "  some  "  and smiled ...

#21 ·
dodge82273 said:
LOL yeah huh ? have you seen some of the 440 powered older trucks on here ? one look at the engine alone and ya know its not getting bodyworked on the trail ............... ;D ;D ;D ;D I said " some " and smiled ...
Wanna bet?

Just because it's nice... you can still use it.
You don't need a clunker to have fun.
You have to be smarter to drive it... without thrashing it.
I challenge you sir, any time, to out perform my truck off road.

#22 ·
in your case , I'm out classed and admit it . I do Not accept the challenge . You win .    I can't be breaking stuff even trying . .......... and I'm still smiling !!!!  ( well ,,  now actually laughing too ..... ) 

#23 ·
dodge82273 said:
in your case , I'm out classed and admit it . I do Not accept the challenge . You win . I can't be breaking stuff even trying . .......... and I'm still smiling !!!! ( well ,, now actually laughing too ..... )
Well I hope I was "exception" in your comment. ;D
My truck is nice because I like it that way... my parents twisted my brain about taking care of stuff when I was growing up. ;D
Yep... I've hit some pretty big rocks that required some fixing.
The thing is... it can be fixed.

#24 ·
Understood , but its your turn , I never had the wearwithall ( SP ) to pay folks to fix my stuff , ( for various reasons)
Now I can not "do it yourself " so well anymore ( age , misuse of body for years , called hard work at the time )So today If I want to keep it nice , I take it real easy on it , most of the time .. so I / we have 2 types of trucks , some are kept nice , some not so nice looking . like the dedicated snow plow truck , get logs loaded into it ,( weights) sometimes I bump the bed with the tractor doing it , or back into a tree plowing , I don't fix it that way , but it has new ball joints etc in its d44 cad , 3inch shoes in the rear w/new drums .. the tall 4 core radiator ... etc . except for tail lights every thing works and would easily pass a safety inspection ..  another truck has 6 grand worth of paint materials alone on it . ( that stuff has gotten REAL expensive 800 dollars for 1 gallon/color ) so we don't abuse it at all , not even salt exposure .... 

#25 ·
dodge82273 said:
Understood , but its your turn , I never had the wearwithall ( SP ) to pay folks to fix my stuff , ( for various reasons)
Now I can not "do it yourself " so well anymore ( age , misuse of body for years , called hard work at the time )So today If I want to keep it nice , I take it real easy on it , most of the time .. so I / we have 2 types of trucks , some are kept nice , some not so nice looking . like the dedicated snow plow truck , get logs loaded into it ,( weights) sometimes I bump the bed with the tractor doing it , or back into a tree plowing , I don't fix it that way , but it has new ball joints etc in its d44 cad , 3inch shoes in the rear w/new drums .. the tall 4 core radiator ... etc . except for tail lights every thing works and would easily pass a safety inspection .. another truck has 6 grand worth of paint materials alone on it . ( that stuff has gotten REAL expensive 800 dollars for 1 gallon/color ) so we don't abuse it at all , not even salt exposure ....
I'm with you on the body "misuse"... human kind. ;D
I'll be 64 in a few months and I've been pushing drywall tools since I was 18. I need to get new knees soon. And my left shoulder needs something done soon. But like my truck, remove and replace and keep going WFO!
By the way... some loon in a Raptor SVT challenged me yesterday... I thought those things were supposed to be fast?
He was embarrassed deeply by a 63+ year old driving a 45 year old truck.

#26 ·
I only got ya by bout half dozen , much as a field mechanic , 1st. ag ,then union heavy equipment , then highway maintenance every thing weird, the last were easier but always cold . Try to find someone near by with a '93 factory 360 mag in either a short box or maybe an RC , take a ride .... the diff twext it and all other small blocks !  I've had nothing replaced ,or repaired , but  don't ask for simon says tricks ... lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.