Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having started body work on my truck, I have quicly realized that it is not a good Idea to leave any bare metal for very long around here. So the question is, is it ok to primer/ seal as I go? Right now I have the back of the cab and roof mostly stripped. Is there anything wrong with priming then sealing just that portion, and then moving on to other parts? If it is a bad Idea, I don't really see how I can ever get the whole thing stripped with out parts of it starting to rust again.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I wouldn't think it should be a problem but if your going to paint, then I'd paint all in one shot... Not sure, I'm not an expert

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
may have to scuff and give a fresh shop of primer all over before painting, but that'd probably fall in with the final prep anyways. I'd say do it, would be much better than letting it rust.

Get some military camo and blend the patterns as you go, then you won't have to go back over it when you're done.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the imput, and Donk, this truck is the restoration, so no Camo for it, but thanks anyway

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
They have a few different colors of primer.. Who says it can't have camo primer under a restoration paint job. It'll make for more interesting pictures of the restoration process.. ; and you can have more fun with the project. And unless someone.. someday, sands the paint back off to see the primer pattern.. they'll never know.
Aaron Wyse

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a good point, it would be like snow camo, actually that is a cool idea, cause then when I run out of money I can just seal that and drive it like that till I win the lottery. lol

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Just remember that most primers absorb moisture. They will slow down the rust but not stop it.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
long as you use a good rust inhibitor it iwll be fine to leave in primner if you don't it iwll rust up ina hurry just from moisture alone .... I love primer alot and think it looks cool in primer anyhow .... just make sure you got a good rust inhibitor whne ui paint hte primer on man

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Rustolium works good under the primer. you will be fine for a while doing that but you want to go ahead and paint it as soon as you can.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I wanna paint my beast flat black for now. How do I do that? Just shoot it black without clear, or what?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts