Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks - it's Mad Max, and I'm starting a fresh thread for a very good friend of mine, my buddy Pat, who owns a really nice survivor '77 Power Wagon. Pat's userid is Paddy Wagon, and I'm hosting his build-up and getting it started, mostly because I know the RCC drill and have most of the pics. So, here we go!

First, some back ground. Pat and I know each other from work, and I almost bought this truck because it was such a good survivor truck and everything was there. Well, Pat and I have been gossiping about the Nacho since I began that project, and as it happens he got the bug for a nice old truck, and after several C-notes he brought his PW home....and that's when it got fun ;).

See, Pat has always wanted to build 'his' machine, his one toy, his fishin' machine. You know, one that would get him up to the great fishing holes up in the Rockies and back without any trouble. And of course being my friend he got the curse...and he and I developed a plan.
Another great friend of mine, TJ (one of my groomsmen a few months ago), is a fantastic mechanic and an awesome painter. So, Pat, TJ, and I are collaborating on Pat's PW to do a 110% complete restification - fully restored with modern upgrades, and at this very moment TJ has most of the truck in primer en route to a bitchin' paint job and full restoration of the body, interior, chassis, and of course, driveline ;). Oh wait for it - it's sweet 8).

Pat decided to go full bore - 100% body-off restored. In the last month Pat dropped of the truck at TJ's shop, gave him the keys, and gave us the 'go'. Since then we have taken the body to Monte for fertilizer blasting and it is currently back in TJ's paint booth about 80% in primer.
As well, remember our RC buddy 'aspoonhour'? Remember the Cummins RC he did a while ago? Well that red '89 RC had a roller cam 360/auto and full driveline with SOTF 4wd along with a 9-1/4 rear and a D44 front. Well, I got Pat together with Andy, they made a good deal, and that '89 running gear is currently being fully rebuilt and going under Pat's '77 chassis. Y'all won't believe how sweet the engine is now. 'Right ON!' is the best way I can summarize it...and that's coming from me :D.

So, with all that said I figured I post some of the pics we have so far.

First off, here's Pat with his pride and joy, and a couple 'before' pics

Pat with his 'stash' from Andy - not a bad bed load of parts eh?

...and of course all those parts covering Pat's garage floor...

...more on the next post...

- M2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...second volley!

Dropping of the PW at TJ's place

Pat and TJ

TJ and I (man...he and I have had some crazy adventures together...)

Well it didn't take long for Pat and I to go looking for some of the upgrade stuff, like a 35 gallon tank, seats, brackets, etc, as well as some of the custom stuff I did on the RC like a 80's era fuel fill door.

Here is Pat under a '84 RC pulling the tank and the frame bracketry to hold it in place

...and a truck load of bone yard schwag {cool}

and yours truly with one of my real cool bone yard tools, a cordless death wheel {cool} removing the fuel door from a schwacked bed side, soon to be grafted into Pat's bed side

And just a few weeks ago, I hauled the body to Monte to get blasted. It turned out sa-weet!

- M2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...and of course...it didn't take long for the new parts to start...uh rolling...in...

I didn't want to give away the best parts - I'll leave that thunder to Pat to tell y'all about. The paint, driveline, and upgrade details are his to post. You are gonna totally dig the engine...

Much more to follow - this is gonna be such a sweet PW. I'm happy just to be a part of it.

- M2

·
Premium Member
13,605 Posts
...figured I'd post my own reply so I can track it too!

This is a fun project, and a lot of the stuff I tried with the Nacho has been looked at with Pat's rig, and some of it we're incorporating.  It is a lot of fun and Pat is a super good guy.  We're looking forward to wheeling and showing together side by side in the future at local shows {cool}.

- M2

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Alright!! Looking and sounding like a awesome build fellers! Hey I believe I've had the pleasure of seeing yours and TJs mugs long time ago :p Sure looking forward to another awesome build for you or all yall :) Keep everybody updated

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
13,605 Posts
I'll chime in a little for Pat as there has been some awesome activity recently.  TJ has the majority of the metal work under wraps and getting ready for primer.  The engine was run on a dyno at the engine builders shop last week - the little 360 is a monster - the best assembly/utility of off-the-shelf engine parts I believe I have ever seen, and it's the first time I've witnessed an engine break-in and tune session on an actual dyno - we got the whole thing on video.  The engine got some really good goodies, and boy do they work well together. 
The frame is nearly complete and sitting on the fresh axles.
More to follow along with some pics.
- M2

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just read about the motor in one of Sam's other posts and he says it is awesome! I'll be watching this fellas! Keep it up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks like ya'll are having a bunch of fun!  Thanks posting it all for us to enjoy!  It's good to see another Mopar truck saved from a slow death  8)

·
Premium Member
13,605 Posts
Alrighty - some progress goings on. While the body and paint is being done at TJ's place I brought the recently painted chassis out to the shop where it will stay until the truck is done. We're going to assemble it here and I will be doing the fabrication as necessary.

We'll be posting more pics here in the near future.

- M2

·
Premium Member
13,605 Posts
alrighty...got some progress pics and some intel.

Here is what I've been doing with Pat's truck lately - installing his kick-arse 408 stroker 8)

Yeah, we're basically building the truck around the engine because, well.....it dyno'd at 451 hp and 502 tq on pump gas baby 8). Folks, this is the sweetest small block I have ever come across.Â
Here's the specs:
- 1989 Mopar 360 core (the engine Pat got from aspoonhour)
- Eagle 408 stroker kit (crank and rods)
- KB hyperutectic pistons
- CompCams custom-ground roller cam
- CompCams Pro Magnum rockers
- Edelbrock Performer RPM heads
- Edelbrock ProFlo EFI

My engine guy Angelo at Geddes Auto Machine (here in Colorado Springs) built and dyno'd the engine at his shop. We were all there for the dyno run, and as soon as I can figure out how to get video's on youtube I'll get it up here. Think NASCAR and that's what it sounded like. It made such smooth, deliverable power that it was above Angelo's prediction for hp. Yeah, this 408 makes more hp and tq than a 1969 426 Hemi. No exotic parts, no voodoo, just a very good assembly of very good parts. The EFI was icing - he did that for the altitude and the 'wheelin aspect on the rough stuff. The cost wasn't out the roof but it was spendy, sure, but making big power on pump gas is simply a matter of using the right parts.Â
Key components - stroker kit, heads, roller cam - all off-the-shelf. Those three items (mostly the heads) doubled the power potential for the little 360 - it's all in the parts {contract}.

This aught to get the little short box P-Wagon's tail a waggin'Â Â {cruise} {devil}

- M2

·
Registered
313 Posts
Inspiring for sure guys!

I can't believe how good 'a shape that PW's in!

Will be watch'n and learn'n...

·
3,752 Posts
Very nice.
I think you guys are building Pat an awesome short bed there. 8)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Lookin' real good there MM. You guys are doin' a hell of a job as usual. The chassis came out sweet! What did you use on it? I should've went with something not as glossy as mine when I did my RC 12 years ago but what's done is done-for now anyways. How'sthe body comin' on the rig? Progress pics?? Colors? Keep us updated. We know you're busy with all your other projects too but you're our idol and want to see what you're up too. ;D

1 - 20 of 233 Posts