Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1987 12-Valve Cummins on tons and 37's.
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been a LONG time since I've posted anything here, but I "finished" the main build of my Cummins RC a few years ago. Now it's time for the next phase.

The intent from the beginning was to make this a back-country camping rig. I'm looking for ideas for a simple drawer/storage system for the back of this thing.
I'm not worried about living/sleeping accommodations, as that will be handled by the matching trailer I'm building right now, but something that will keep tools, supplies, a camp stove pots and pans... whatever, organized and within easy reach.

I'm not much of a wood worker, so I'm more interested in fairly simple designs... or I may even be interested in buying a finished set-up that someone has grown tired of.

Anyway, feel free to share your "overland" ideas!

Thanks!

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering part
Hood Vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Vehicle Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering part
Hood Vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Vehicle Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
Project Leviathan
603 Posts
Looks supper nice man! To be honest I am Jealous. lol to be honest I'm Van Life-ing out of mine right now urbanely, which will swap over to overlanding in the future. and the lesson I have learned from the past month is little modding as possible, Screws, plywood no bigger than 1/4", nothing bigger than a 2X4. Then Cutting things to fit with about a 1/8th of an inch for tolerance has worked well for me.

One thing you can build its a simple shelf unit, then just use clear plastic containers for quick and easy organization. Then go mount a tool box in there of the appropriate size. like a machinist tool box in there.

Reactions: diesel-dude

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,186 Posts
Ya, that's a nice rig 👍

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would build a sliding drawer system to keep your miscellaneous stuff organized and add some attachment points on top of it.

Reactions: diesel-dude

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful truck, nice attention to details (y)

Did you build the central console by yourself? Looks cool!
Thanks Panda! Afraid I can't take much credit for the center console. It, and the seats are from an 05 Durango. There were dials on the back of that console for the Durango 2nd seat climate control that I removed and installed the 12V power ports, but that's the extent on my console handiwork lol.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
161 Posts
Though having a wood or metal shelving/rack system is more elegant, I think putting in a few tool boxes and plastic bins would be better.
1. much less time invested
2. probably lower cost
3. more space for stuff
4. easier to rearrange and resize when needed
5. much easier to unload
6. rack/shelf system adds more weight
7. whenever you want an emptier ramcharger, say, to move a fridge, it'll be easier to just unload the bins.

·
Registered
'86 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4
8 Posts
I agree with the tool box suggestion. What wench do you have? And I love the spare bar did you install that yourself? I have 35s and I want to add a spare bar in the back too but I was afraid it would look dumb but yours looks GOOD!

·
Registered
1977 dodge w200 power wagon
155 Posts
I’d suggest you look up “ little houses” some of the ideas they use for storage. Using as little space as possible.
Is pretty damn cool

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the tool box suggestion. What wench do you have? And I love the spare bar did you install that yourself? I have 35s and I want to add a spare bar in the back too but I was afraid it would look dumb but yours looks GOOD!
Yes, I built the recovery bumper and spare tire carrier myself. Nothing fancy, but it works.

I used a locking hub from a Dana 44 for the pivot. Mostly because it was free and it does look kinda cool lol. It'll hold the carrier open at any angle so the spare doesn't cave in the quarter panel or my head if gravity wants to take it somewhere.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bumper Bicycle frame

Reactions: OperaMartian
1 - 11 of 11 Posts