Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have noticed the past few times I have crawled up a trail, the temperature is fine while I am driving but after I stop and turn the truck off, the temp continues to climb. You can hear the radiator bubbling and when I turn the switch enough to power the gauges, the temp gauge is about 3/4 of the way up (versus the normal 1/2 mark).

Is this normal and if not, what could I do to fix it?

Thanks for any help in advance!

·
29,552 Posts
Does it go back down after you start it again? The temp will always go up initially as heat soaks up through the heads but the bubbling is a bit odd. How old is your radiator cap?

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
It's called heat soak and is basically normal.  Heat is built up in the metal of the engine and is cooled by the circulating oil and water.  Once the engine is shut off, the heat is no longer being cooled or removed from the engine so it tends to raise the temp of the engine since it's only method of cooling is slow heat dissipation by air.  If the water is boiling I would check to make sure your water-antifreeze mix is correct and that the cap is holding pressure since it should not be boiling.  You might want to try a good aftermarket gauge also as the factory gauges are not very accurate.  Even so, almost all of my Dodge trucks barely run 1/4 of the way up the gauge so it may just be your gauge or it is possible that your cooling system is not very efficient due to a malfunctioning thermostat, clogged radiator, pressure cap malfunctioning, or a bad clutch fan but I would start with the antifreeze mix and the pressure cap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure how old the cap is, only had the truck 1 1/2 months...might be original for all I know. And yes, once I start the truck, the temp goes back down.

I expected it to rise a bit once I shut it off and the circulation stopped, but the bubbling / gurgling noises made me a bit concerned. When I put the new water / antifreeze in, I honestly only paid attention to the cold protection since we have some double digit negatives where I am at in CO. I just got through running it around, so in a bit I will go double check the mixture and make sure everything in fine. I did notice this last time that there was a trickle of antifreeze spilling over from the cap. So will pick up a replacement tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips. Now I have some ideas of what to start looking at if it isn't the mixture. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.