Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  Does anyone have any idea why my o/d light that’s above the radio comes on at random times while driveling?  My truck is a 1992 with a 3.9 and what I would assume an a518.  Recently I put larger tires on it and after that it wouldn’t downshift very well so I traced that back to my throttle cable was way out of adjustment so after I got that straight now the overdrive comes on and off at random times??  I’m sure it’s related

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
bumps allow the switch's catch to pop out , is my guess . its plastic , and old .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much will buy new switch.  Is there any way to adjust the kickdown cable alone or is at the throttle body the only way?  My truck still seems to need alittle more adjustment cause it doesn’t kickdownwhen I think it should.....  maybe it’s just me!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  Well I have been reading alittle more about my possible problem and it seems I haven’t asked all of the right questions.  Ok so more than likely I need an o/d switch, we got that out of the way...  next let me say that my last post about downshift was probably wrong.  My o/d light comes on and off but as long as the light is off it kicks down correctly I think but when I’m goin up a long steep grade at highway speed my truck slows to like 40-45 and still doesn’t want to downshift to second.  Is this mph to soon to downshift to second?? Would adjusting the bands solve this problem??

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes that cable adjusts AT the throttle end , (you will want the instructions offered )... with the light out ( O.D. enabled) it should down shift for 1 of 2 reasons ,      1 how far you depress gas pedal when going above 42 mph ,  AND /  OR    2  the speed drops below 42 MPH .  either should take it out of O.D. and the light should stay OFF
( button depressed )
engine too cold and o.d. is not allowed  ( COLD )
below 42 the governor don't allow od  ( 46rh/518)
map sensor reading  ( too much gas pedal ) and its not allowed ....( adjustment of cable matters above 42mph )
dash button out ( light on IF bulb works ) and its not allowed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.