Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,938 Posts
all I can say man is wow :eek:. That would have been an awesome car if it had been produced and looks way better than a vette does if you ask me . Where di dyou find out anout this car anyhow ? I had never even heard of it let alone lay my eye balls on a pic . Very cool man to say the least . ! car I would steal from their warehouse for sure .

bt83rc

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, I have lots of literature on AMC products and history. 100% necessary if your into these cars, as there is lots of incorrect AMC info & myths floating around..............Los

· Premium Member
6,507 Posts
Mala-Sangre said:
1977 Hornet/AMX. Unknown production numbers, but according to AMC Gurus, very low.

304 V-8 - Will give way to a 340 Mopar or 401 AMC
904 Torque Command
AMC/Dana 20 rear with 3.15 gears and Twin Grip carrier

The stock 2V has been replaced with a performer manifold and Carter AFB. Dual exhaust is another non stock item. Has original tach and full instrumentation cluster pod. Also has the factory aluminum 14" mags.
Don't take this the wrong way im not poking fun, i think that would make a good rally car, maybe a modified running gear from the eagle(which i think is jeep t-case stuff anyway)it has that rally look, wonder if the eagle and hornet share some frame similarities in the front

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Evildriver_3 said:
Don't take this the wrong way im not poking fun
I'm too tired right now to take anything the wrong way.
i think that would make a good rally car
I wouldn't do that to any authentic low number model from any brand. Be it GM, Ford, Chrysler, or AMC. If it must be done, that's what base models are for. I don't believe in butchering cars. There are far too few left. Especially the factory V-8 Hornet/AMXs as mine happens to be. The V-8s probably only account for 20% of all '77 Hornet/AMXs. Incidently, the only year the AMX package was offered on the Hornets. And that's a generous figure knowing AMC's history. As it was the only option other than A/C and tape player for this model. And as we speak, it's on it's way to Linden, N.J.
maybe a modified running gear from the eagle(which i think is jeep t-case stuff anyway)
I had an Eagle, great car for what it was, but I wouldn't exactly consider it's driveline competition worthy. And their T-cases were unique to eagles. Designed by the Brits, and built by Chrysler for AMC. Viscous fluid coupled transfer cases.
it has that rally look
Maybe so. But I view it as an alternative to A-bodies. Lighter, and far better handling than any A body I've ever owned. And I've owned a lot of A bodies. And when I visit Jay on the way home, I'll pick up the magic pieces he's holding for me, to turn it into a runner capable of handling big 3 equivalents that are similarly cubed and built. Thanks to Jay, I'll be building out one of the 2 flaws in it's constuction. I'll address the other as well.
wonder if the eagle and hornet share some frame similarities in the front
The Eagles were nothing more than slightly re-skinned Hornets with a hump to accept the transfer case. Basically a 4WD Hornet is what it was....................Los

· Registered
56 Posts
I don't have any pic's to share but a friend of mine just restored a late 70's Gremlin he found rotting away in a pasture. I know very little about AMC but from what he has told me they only made something like 3000 with a 340 in them. I have no clue if this is true but he dumped close to 10K into this car...Everything bumper to bumper, inside out was replaced or redone. It was repainted the factory orange and all of the black decals replaced....It is one VERY fast car...Uglier then hell but very quick. People are very surprised when they see it go considering it looks completely stock (except for the wheels and tires)

Jess

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes, factory V-8 Gremlins are very hard to find, and very desirable in AMC circles. AMC had poor rust protection up till '78, so rust is very common on them. The last year of 304 Gremlin production only amounted to 800+ units. The 304 Gremlins could run pretty well, all they needed was a bit more cam and a 4V. My Hornet has the stock cam and a 4V and it's pretty damn quick. Once massaged, 304 Grems (3,000+Lbs) were quick.

Randall AMC in Mesa, Az used to put 401s of any build state you wanted in Gremlins and Hornets. And let me tell you, if you're lined up next to a 401 powered Grem/Hornet, you'd better have something under your hood. Because these thing would lay down the boogie on street tires. I saw a 401 powered Grem with slicks run in Ca., and it was a nasty car, with no go go juice to boot..............Los

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.