·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 1974 Javelin/AMX. 1 of 4,090 Jav/AMXs built in '74

360 4V - To be replaced by a 401
727 Torque Command
AMC/Dana 20 rear with 3.15 Twin Grip carrier
140 speedo, tic toc tach, A/C, power disc brakes, tilt steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Sweet ride man {cool} My sisters boyfriend had one (it was still a late model car, 2 or 3 years old at the time) can't remember which engine it had, but it was a four speed and
was pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 91. I really like it too. In fact, I wanted one since I was 14. My Cousin's husband had a 360/727 base Javelin that would lay it down. Needless to say, at 14, I was very impressed.

I'll pump the new 401 up to about 330 true HP for it. Nothing radical. That'll be quick enough. I'm more interested in handling, and this puppy is pretty impressive in hard corners for an older pony car.............Los

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1977 Hornet/AMX. Unknown production numbers, but according to AMC Gurus, very low.

304 V-8 - Will give way to a 340 Mopar or 401 AMC
904 Torque Command
AMC/Dana 20 rear with 3.15 gears and Twin Grip carrier

The stock 2V has been replaced with a performer manifold and Carter AFB. Dual exhaust is another non stock item. Has original tach and full instrumentation cluster pod. Also has the factory aluminum 14" mags.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1987 Shelby GLHS. Car #12 0f 1,000

2.2 intercooled turbo engine rated at 174HP
5 speed manual gear box
FWD

All stock for now. A/C, AM/FM cassette, Original Koni 3-way adjustable shocks at all 4, original Shelby Automobiles aluminum mags.

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ya got some real interesting rides there.
If that 904 tranny is the same as what was used in Chryslers I'd hafta say...DON'T USE IT!! ;D I started out with a 904 in my cuda....lasted bout a long as my first street race..went through another before finally mating a 727 torqueflite underneath.
And did ya ever hear the story about what the GLHS stands for? the way I heard it Carroll Shelby had the GLH first, stood for Goes Like Hell.....the GLHS was Goes Like Hell Somemore ;) at least that is according to a story I read once.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PhantomRam said:
Ya got some real interesting rides there.
If that 904 tranny is the same as what was used in Chryslers I'd hafta say...DON'T USE IT!! ;D I started out with a 904 in my cuda....lasted bout a long as my first street race..went through another before finally mating a 727 torqueflite underneath.
And did ya ever hear the story about what the GLHS stands for? the way I heard it Carroll Shelby had the GLH first, stood for Goes Like Hell.....the GLHS was Goes Like Hell Somemore ;) at least that is according to a story I read once.
Yup, it's the same tranny as the Mopar 904, built for AMC by Mopar with an AMC bellhousing. They call it the Torque Command. Vast improvement over the old Borg Warner M series.

904s can be built for serious duty. In fact, they're done regularly these days. My buddies got one in his Dart. And this has a really warm 360. In the area of 375 HP. And it's completed one race season without a hitch so far.

And they have the advantage of lighter weight, and less horsepower scrub from your gross output. Not too mention their better gearing selection. But I agree that if the tranny won't be beefed, the 727 is a more durable choice. And is normally the tranny I select for hot rods. If I stick a 401 in it instead of a 340, I'll run the 727. As the 401 puts out BB type torque and would go through the 904 quicker than the 340.

The GLHS story you read is true. That's what it stands for. Best balanced car I've ever owned. Power and handling...........Los

·
3,951 Posts
love the 74 jav body. there' a guy that has one around here
for several years he's restored the car twice in 15yrs. seems
he gets bored and parks it in yard til it rusts again. then starts
over.

nice collection......esp. the GLHS.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks W300. Lucky for me, the two AMCs are Nv natives, so they have absolutely no rust whatsoever. And the GLHS is a Southern Cal native, and she has no rust either. But the desert sun has taken a toll on the GLHS' paint job. That's the first priority when I get back home.

Funny, the '74 AMX came from a Pawn shop in Reno. Someone must have had a bad day at the crap tables ;).............Los

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Didn't they make an Omni GLHS too?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the Omni GLHS was the '86 model. Only 500 of those were produced. I actually prefer those to the '87s. But unfortunately, the only time I spotted one for sale, I was in Oklahoma city, and it was in San Fran. And I just couldn't get away to grab it. :-\................Los

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the most likely candidates for the next couple of build-ups. On the left, is an uncut '73 340 block for the Hornet. It'll be a stock stroke '72 steel crank build, with about 9.3 compression, mildly ported heads (if I go aluminum, I'll go higher on the compression), stock rods and lightweight pistons. Nothing radical. I'll baseline it with a Hughes/Engle 1423AL. Then go from there.

On the right is an uncut '76 401 for the Javelin. Nothing radical there either, as 401s are plenty strong with just a cam swap. About the same work will be done as with the 340. 9.0 compression, just bowl work on the heads (AMC "Dog Legs" need very little attention as they are probably the best flowing stock small block heads out there). Piston seletion for the AMC V-8 really sucks, so it'll be Ross custom pistons to dial in the compression and save weight over the TRWs (which are extremely heavy).

If I actually do go further with one, it most likely will be the 340. As it has better revving capabilities with it's 3.31 stroke compared to the 401's 3.68. That and it'll be in the Hornet's 200+ lb. lighter body.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Mala-Sangre said:
Yes, the Omni GLHS was the '86 model. Only 500 of those were produced. I actually prefer those to the '87s. But unfortunately, the only time I spotted one for sale, I was in Oklahoma city, and it was in San Fran. And I just couldn't get away to grab it. :-\................Los
So I guess I should've bought the only one I ever saw for sale... ;)
Talk about a sleeper though...nobody expects a little boxy
Omni to be quick ;D

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, most outside of Chrysler circles have never even heard of them. They run 15 flat stock, due mostly to no bite with the FWD, but on the highway, it'll embarrass a lot of near stock small blocks. I've had her up near 140mph. And they'll give you more than that.

Stock, She's at about 14 lbs per HP. When I get some other projects clear, I'll have her between 10 and 11 lbs per HP. More boost, bigger injectors, computer, and a rebuild with the usual tricks. She's got 101,000 miles on now, and still runs like a champ..............Los

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll tell ya Mike. Luck had a lot to do with it. I actually took my Wife up to one of her favorite stores in Reno. Under protest I might add :). Well, I hate shopping with Women, so I took a cruise to a used audio store there, usually rich in older high end Marantz gear. Sure enough, that's when I spotted it. At an auto pawn shop...............Los

·
Registered
774 Posts
man, i remember test driving an Omni glh in 85 or 86 off the dealer's floor. i couldnt afford it and it was reasonable, they had not been able to get rid of it. the sales guy let me take it up to 90 on a wide city street and we got there quick. i kicked myself for years for not being able to put that deal together.
after all these years i still have not made up my mind on Javelins, super cool from some angles, not so from others(imho). very distinct styling though.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, the GLH really surprised lots of people. And the 2.2 has proven, to me anyway, to be a reliable engine. Great cars. I prefer them in the Omni body, but I couldn't turn down a GLHS.

Dick Teague's '71 - '74 Javelin body has always been a love it or hate type deal. I just happen to like it, and that's been for many years. It was meant to clean house in the '70 Trans Am series, and it did just that. The spoiler was designed by Mark Donahue for the '70 model. He also suggested the humps for wheel stuff in hard corners, while still maintaining the low frontal area. And AMC worked with Traco in Ca. to revamp the standard AMC head. It worked, the package cleaned house the next 2 years.

One interesting note. There was supposed to be the "true AMX" two seater based on this body. But AMC could not afford/risk/fund a low volume seller. As they were always 1 disaster from going under.

Ahhhh, but think of the possibilities if they had even Chrysler's budget.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Makes me wonder if the Maserati wasn';t built along the same body idea as that AMX-3 was prtotype it looks very similar to the Maserati alot . I have always liked the AMX car alot it's a light weight and small and has like u said LOS handling form hell . Something not many other muscle cars could do that much of .

bt83rc

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, AMC, as well as GM, Ford, and Mopar all had their moments of brilliance. The 2 dr AMX '68 - '70 were great cars. But this AMX/3 would have been a memorable American sports car. It was designed to totally undress 'Vettes.

BMW, who did the testing of these cars, reported it very stable up to 140. They claimed with the right spoilers for added down force, it would have been stable to 160+. Not bad for a 1970 AMC! Too bad only 7 were made. 390ci V-8, mid engine. It was way ahead of it's time for an all American Sports car............Los

1 - 20 of 26 Posts